Stem Creator use... and the master file?

6xes
6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

im using the Stem creator.. which is really neat

i had isolated the stems of alot of my favourite songs in the past using the awesome Spleeter application..

in some cases im having the isolate the stems again... as i had used the 5 stem isolation option which sometimes has blank noise on the outgoing stem sometimes... the other 4 stems usually have all the audio

What i have noticed when using the Stem Creator is that it requires a master file...

and i've just been throwing a blank noise stem into it..

So my question is what does the Master file do?? i read something about it having some stereo information.. or something along those line??

Can someone in the know elaborate on how essential it is to have the master file... and what im missing if i use a blank noise stem?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,661 mod
    Answer ✓

The master file is the audio track being played on software that is unable to separately play the 4 stems.

So if you play the file using traktor, you will hear the 4 stems. If you play the file using let's say VLC player, you will hear the master track (which is supposed to be all 4 stems together and mastered).

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,661 mod
    Answer ✓

The master file is the audio track being played on software that is unable to separately play the 4 stems.

So if you play the file using traktor, you will hear the 4 stems. If you play the file using let's say VLC player, you will hear the master track (which is supposed to be all 4 stems together and mastered).

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

i see now!! thanks Sûlherokhh

• Wades
    Wades Member Posts: 22 Member

Hi everyone!

I'm debunking this topic cause I still got some issue with stem creator,

I wasted my two last weeks checking all forums talking about it. The fact is it's working on MAC but NOT ON PC!

I mean Stem creator works in a sense you can put all your .wav files into it and have your export but the audio quality of the result is so bad people would think you know nothing about mastering tracks..

I tried to convert my .wav files to ALAC format but when I tried to load it into traktor, traktor doesn't want to analyze it.. I also try with a friend (mac owner) to use stem creator to see if the problem wasn't there, he sent me the export but same problem, traktor doesn't want to analyze it on my pc..

I tried to use ffmpeg instead of stem creator, I also tried with VLC to create a .mp4 file which contains the 4 audio track but nope, still the same problem.

Does someone in NI's team could at least feed back the request I have here please:

Could you please update Stem Creator just for the audio quality instead of letting people since 2015 with the only version you made? (which precises in the documentation:

"Know issues: Only AAC Encoding currently supported

This version of Stem Creator does not provide any audio encoding options during export. Stem files are always created using AAC audio encoding at 256kbps VBR except when using Apple Lossless (ALAC) files as inputs; in this case, an ALAC-quality Stem file will be made."

I really think there is no sense here to develop an audio software which export your audio file at 256kbps.

I know you always have many development on the way, always and I truly understand, but It has been 7years since you release Stem Creator!

And I really think it could definetely change the game for many producer like me (who use Fl studio and know nothing about ableton) to play live, and trust me your old flagship controller the S8, but also the F1 and the S5, could have a new life and way wore visibility on social medias if you fix it!

Thank you if you took the time to read it and many thanks if you take you take it into account!

• axeldelafosse
    axeldelafosse Member Posts: 15 Member

The fact is it's working on MAC but NOT ON PC!

Yeah it looks like ALAC stems don't work on Windows. It's weird because ALAC seems to be supported since Windows 10.