BPM translation issues between daws

Nyxsin
Nyxsin Member Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2022 in Maschine

Hello fine folks.

I use Maschine 2 with my Komplete Kontrol S61 MKII and Maschine Mikro MKII, because the ease of use when quickly needing to get ideas captured and formed. However, I have never been a fan of the mixer setup, nor the limited automation capabilities, thus I usually run everything into FL studio (because I've used it for years and years and I'm super familiar with it... until now).

The issue I've come up against is that samples translate very oddly between the two.

For instance,

I've written a song in Maschine 2.0 (latest update), in 6/8 sig with a bpm of 92.

When I export then import into a new FL studio file with the same parameters, the sample is waaaay slower. It doesnt make any sense to me. Do the two daws define time signatures or tempo differently?

edit: I've also opened Maschine directly in FL studio as a vst and with a 6/8 sig in FL, maschine vst reads 6/2.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,284 mod
    Answer ✓

@Nyxsin I can reproduce the issue, even on Mac with the Maschine VST, if I create a 6/8 FL Studio project, Maschine will have a 6/2 time signature and the project is super slow indeed. I tried to change the FL Studio project to 6/2, Maschine then shows 6/8 but the tempo is doubled. I tried in other DAWs, like Ableton, everything is working as expected there. So the issue seems only to arise in FL Studio. I'm not sure FL Studio is the best at handling time signatures out of 4/4, it might be worth checking Image Line resource about that. I've also asked the Maschine team about it and waiting for their feedback.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @Nyxsin I've checked with other sequencers as VSTs in FL Studio, it behaves the same, when an odd time signature is set up in a FL Studio project, the sequencer will display a different time signature than FL Studio, so that definitely looks like a FL Studio bug, you should contact their support.

Answers

• DeepThumb
    DeepThumb Member Posts: 170 Advisor

HI, I would check the sample rates in your Maschine, FL and your system first.

• Nyxsin

So,

I checked. They are identical. Sample rates, buffer lengths, tempo, signatures all registered identical in settings. I am a loss.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Maschine 2 loaded as a Plug-in is supposed to run on the Host Tempo... @Jeremy_NI are you familiar with FL?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Nyxsin I can reproduce the issue, even on Mac with the Maschine VST, if I create a 6/8 FL Studio project, Maschine will have a 6/2 time signature and the project is super slow indeed. I tried to change the FL Studio project to 6/2, Maschine then shows 6/8 but the tempo is doubled. I tried in other DAWs, like Ableton, everything is working as expected there. So the issue seems only to arise in FL Studio. I'm not sure FL Studio is the best at handling time signatures out of 4/4, it might be worth checking Image Line resource about that. I've also asked the Maschine team about it and waiting for their feedback.

• Nyxsin

@Jeremy_NI thank you. I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing back.

I have posted on an image line forum as well, alas, to no avail.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @Nyxsin I've checked with other sequencers as VSTs in FL Studio, it behaves the same, when an odd time signature is set up in a FL Studio project, the sequencer will display a different time signature than FL Studio, so that definitely looks like a FL Studio bug, you should contact their support.

• Nyxsin

Thank you kindly for your help @Jeremy_NI.

I will continue to follow up with ImageLine.

I greatly appreciate it!