Komplete Kontrol full screen and resizable?

Options

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    Options

Hey, this horse gets me around just fine.

Why should anyone think about a motorcycle?

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 946 Guru
    Options

If we are now moving from "apples to apples" and over to "apples to oranges "- maybe, it's time to give up the horse (KK) and hit the Harley shop?

VP

• nightjar
    Options

Apple and oranges have the same functional purpose.. as will the next version of KK and the current.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Sounds plausible - but that's only if there is another version of KK.

Half of me thinks it's almost been too many years now and unless something happens VERY soon - maybe NI is simply getting out of this space. They have been cutting development heavy in the past number of years especially with the new leadership team over there.

The other half holds hope that something new might actually come along - but then again - it has been a long long time since NI actually shipped anything new and exciting.

I started getting really concerned when Kontakt 7 (The undisputed NI flagship) dropped, and it was nothing more than a paintjob.

If that is what we can expect NI to be delivering in a general sense for their major tools - that is not a good sign at all for KK

VP

• cki
    cki Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

It's August 2023 now... Seems as if nothing happens here. On my Surface Pro this programme is unusable and - honestly - on my other computer it's not better. I simply do not use your software at all because it's so user-unfriendly. Should not be a problem to make Komplete Kontrol resizable...

Please inform me - maybe next year? - if something happens. I would not buy Komplete again, sorry

• nightjar
    Options

Full Screen and resizable would be helpful in improving the usability of KK software.. but these are only a few of the shortcomings of KK's UI design.

Let's hope for as much improvement as we can get for KK software this year! It should be a huge priority!

• tom80
    tom80 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

@Nico_NI Any updates on this? It's been a looooooooong time with nothing.

• nightjar
    Options

Videos out for the new S-series MK2 keyboards have let some glimpses of KK's near future leak out.

And the new way NKS2 is used to browse using the onboard display shows a Performance panel that shows up to 16 macros and some nice instrument artwork. It take another click to bring up a more complex Edit mode.

This new Performance panel could be used as a shortcut to bring more scalability to the KK desktop GUI.

When browsing with desktop KK, clicking on a preset could bring up a desktop versions of the Performance panel that is a standardized size for all NKS instruments. It could be designed with scalable content.. No legacy art.

Only when you wanted to more deeply edit a preset would you click into Edit mode and the old legacy art would come up in the various sizes they have.

• battledj
    battledj Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Even the new Komplete Kontrol MK3 has things that you think you could take for granted, yeah right....

For example, you don't see the amount of any setting directly, you have to turn the knob first :P

Ableton integration is going backwards instead of forward....

O well, promising much and giving little makes fools live in joy

• TimT
    TimT Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

October 2023 and STILL nothing.

I'm ruining my eyes squinting at the tiny screen and have pretty much stopped using it as a result.

Sort

It

Ahhhhhhhht!

• JAB3
    JAB3 Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I have been waiting for this. But I believe I will now just uninstall this and use another product. It's really a creative bottleneck. ☹️

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 410 Guru
    Options

@TimT and @JAB3 - The MK3 will be released this month, and Komplete Kontrol 3 will be released at the same time - you really don't have long to wait.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Not exactly sure what "other product" you could possibly use that has the functionality of Komplete Kontrol. But as noted V3 of Komplete Kontrol is coming soon.

VP

• Tomas E
    Tomas E Member Posts: 82 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I just bought a 4K screen (3840x2160). This is what the plugin looks like here. The knobs are alright but tiny, tiny, letters in the patch list. Hope it isn't scaled up for those of you that use 1920x1080, so that you really can see what I mean.

Oh, I see now that they are a bit blurred too. But that's only the screenshot for some reason.

• Ben C
    Ben C Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

You seem very resistant to the idea that there is anything warranting criticism here, to the point of defensiveness. Of course, one can always argue that a company is free to make their products as they wish, and that we customers should either choose to use them, or vote with our wallets and take our business elsewhere. But I believe any criticism is valid, it's just that the company is under no obligation to listen and react to it.

A couple of points. No, 95% of the world is not using Full HD. I don't know where you got this idea that there is a "standard" screen resolution. Less than a quarter of people have Full HD screens. Most have lower res, probably because laptops dominate these days; 15" Macbook Pros, quite likely the single most common platform for NI software, have an effective vertical resolution of 900. But a lot of producers and other creatives like to use larger screens (1440 vertical pixels and beyond) specifically because it aids usability and therefore productivity; NI must know this.

What is standard is resizable windows in software; it's extremely rare to find software that doesn't let you freely resize its windows or maximise them to fill the screen, and I can think of no reason that KK doesn't. The thing is, when I load an instrument plug-in in KK that has a GUI that won't fit in the available space, KK _resizes its own_ window to accommodate it, so it should be a trivial matter for them to enable users to do this themselves at will, and it is inexplicable why they chose not to allow this from the start.

I expect your answer will be, well, if it resizes itself, why does the user need to? Well...

1) Because a larger window would benefit the Browser sidebar even before any plugins are opened. Even running my 4K screen at 1920x1080, KK takes up barely more than a quarter of the screen, meaning that the category/subcategory tags and preset list could be almost twice as high and mjuch more usable, a real waste of screen space.

2) Because when it resizes itself, it often positions itself badly on (and partly off) the screen, and you end up having to reposition it manually anyway, so you might as well have been left to resize it manually, or ideally you'd run it full-screen most of the time.

Incidentally when it does resize itself, it often still doesn't use all the available screen height, and leaves me needlessly having to use a vertical scrollbar to navigate my plugin UI. At the same time, the window is sometimes wider than my actual screen, rather than using a horizontal scrollbar, making it more awkward than it needs to be to access the full width.

It really is terrible UX.