Ask Kontakt 8 creators anything

Comments

• Philipp_NI
    Philipp_NI Product Team Posts: 12 mod

Thank you! We will make sure to keep your feedback in mind with our upcoming work.

• Tom Collins
    Tom Collins Member Posts: 42 Helper

Will you port the new left sidebar preset browser in Kontakt 8 to Komplete Kontrol? I think that would be a popular choice :)

• Francesco_NI
    Francesco_NI Product Team Posts: 8 mod
    edited September 30

Hi @DougK, Thanks for bringing this up! The tools are in their early stages, and we are working on solutions to make them compatible with all products. The issue in this specific case is content-dependent, meaning that an update to the instruments might be required. Currently, the tools are designed not to affect keyswitches that are properly declared as such in the connected instruments. However, if the developer hasn’t flagged them as function keys, they will be processed as part of the standard playable range. The only proper way to resolve this is for the builder to explicitly declare those keys as keyswitches, rather than relying on a generic system based on assumptions, which might work for some instruments but not others. An alternative possibility we are exploring is providing users the ability to manually exclude certain keys, allowing them to address content that is not yet fully compatible with the new tools.

• Francesco_NI
    Francesco_NI Product Team Posts: 8 mod
    edited September 30

Hi @MLARS , that's indeed true and sharing what I replied to DougK: The tools are already designed not to affect keyswitches that are properly declared as such in the connected instruments. However, if the instrument builder hasn’t flagged them as function keys, they will be processed as part of the standard playable range. The only proper way to resolve this is for the builder to explicitly declare those keys as keyswitches, rather than relying on a generic system based on assumptions, which might work for some instruments but not others. An alternative possibility we are exploring is providing users the ability to manually exclude certain keys, allowing them to address content that is not yet fully compatible with the new tools.

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 117 Advisor
    edited September 30

This is why we pay for instruments - to actually get improvement, fixes and updates over time (not only the months after the initial release). Especially important with first party instruments but terrible if third party makers are behind (why then invest them?)

Like GUI scaling, keyswitch coding issues could be tracked on a specific support page. Provide transparency, what libraries have correct keyswitch coding, what libraries are being fixed or excluded from fixes?

Also this shows again the importance of having productions standards with partners.

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 117 Advisor
    edited September 30

Like stated in another post. We pay to have updated instruments.

Provide transparency on a support page on libraries identified with the issue, what libraries are being worked on, or if they are for some reason excluded from fixes. Have standard requirements with partners if they mess up and miss things.

• Philipp_NI
    Philipp_NI Product Team Posts: 12 mod

Thank for your question! Its on our list and did not made it into release. The current workflow for 8.0 is ether using file menu for instance or global. For slots please access the feature by view menu "instrument header" or using the classic view.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,284 mod
    edited October 1

Please see this comment.

This AMA runs until October 4th.

You can submit questions up until then.

We will continue to answer them up until, and potentially even beyond, then, until most are answered.

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 290 Pro
    edited September 30

Okay thanks, but in that case I also better wait upgrading, as K8-compatibility with M+ isn’t in place nor guaranteed to support my workflow In the near future.

Again, not asking for the perfect solution (K8 support on M+, too) but a better support option for Maschine Plus’ hardware and software capabilities from within this new version desktop tool.

• Claud9
    Claud9 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Is it permitted by NI to create and commercially distribute your own Leap Expansions that you create using your own samples and wallpaper for the FULL version of Kontakt 8, similar to what NI allows with 'third-party libraries without a serial number'?

• iamadan
    iamadan Member Posts: 33 Member

Not sure if my question was noticed or not… I might have missed this? I'm really curious about simplifying MIDI assignments into Kontakt. I know that the new MK3 keyboards presumably respect VST3ParameterInfo in MIDI mode for simple control set up (I remember reading this a long time ago) and it dawned on me that perhaps Kontakt could expose key parameters/macros even per library. Not sure, though. It's straightforward enough to set up KK with any controller, but I'd love to do the same with Kontakt directly.

Thanks!

• dexl
    dexl Member Posts: 53 Member

Where can I read/see Kontakt 8 manual?

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,618 mod
  • Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 2,014 Guru

Hello guys! Long time no see! I was busy because of the music university stuff and piano practice!

Btw, when it comes to Kontakt 8, I have a question:

When will you add automation capability for the knobs and effects inside the Outputs section?

This discussion has been closed.