Using Sonokinetic Noir with a 61-key keyboard

larrychernicoff
larrychernicoff Member Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

All of the Sonokinetic Noir tutorials use an 88-key keyboard. With all of the many functions mapped to different areas of the keyboard (key switches, chord changes, etc.), how does the software work if you only have a 61-key controller?

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Most short keyboard controllers have the ability to range +/- by octaves so that you can see and play the required keyswitches/modifiers in real time, or as an overdub.

Many VSTi's that employ keyswitches but have a shorter playable range will allow the keyswitches to be moved by an octave or so, especially in Kontakt.

Your particular DAW may also have the ability to use Articulation Maps (or Expression Maps) that can be applied to any MIDI track, usually in the Piano Roll View.

I, too, have a 61-key and find that I often have to apply keyswitches after the performance. The nice thing about using Articulation Maps is that if you decide to modulate or re-tune the MIDI notes, the Articulations stay on the keys that they are assigned to, whereas if they are in the note track as events, they will modulate as well, creating havoc.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Most short keyboard controllers have the ability to range +/- by octaves so that you can see and play the required keyswitches/modifiers in real time, or as an overdub.

Many VSTi's that employ keyswitches but have a shorter playable range will allow the keyswitches to be moved by an octave or so, especially in Kontakt.

Your particular DAW may also have the ability to use Articulation Maps (or Expression Maps) that can be applied to any MIDI track, usually in the Piano Roll View.

I, too, have a 61-key and find that I often have to apply keyswitches after the performance. The nice thing about using Articulation Maps is that if you decide to modulate or re-tune the MIDI notes, the Articulations stay on the keys that they are assigned to, whereas if they are in the note track as events, they will modulate as well, creating havoc.