How to create custom MIDI Templates with Kontrol S MK3

Comments

• V84x4
    V84x4 Member Posts: 9 Member

I was waiting to see whether or not this feature would come, and it looks like you guys did a fantastic job.
    I have finally ordered an S61 mk3, which should arrive tomorrow.

I'm new to Ni however I have a Future Request, Please…
    Create some type of GUI template editor to be able to add a full-color rendering
    for the Ni screen when creating a new MIDI template

I have an MPCX that I want to control and it would be cool for me to make a photoshop
    rendering of my MPCX and background for the template screen

best regards, Rick

• crisNI
    crisNI Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited August 12

for example:
    - korg wavestate
    - novation peak

both are polyAT synths, but with no keybed but tons(!) of "hidden functions",
    and Peak even with NRPN data.

assigning 4 midi-CH-keyzones with LG/colored buttons to the 4 different Layers of the Wavestate -
    is only the top of this new iceberg of candy.

the MK3 + the templates brought the synth game up to a whole new level of parameter control.
    and you get a 2nd UI for your synths.

• TapTapDoubleTap
    TapTapDoubleTap Member Posts: 14 Member

okay looks like I’ve got a lot of learning to do here. Thanks!

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,274 mod

When in the Buttons & Knobs view, hold SHIFT. You will see options to MOVE, ADD, DUPLICATE, DELETE pages.

• Matthew_NI
    1. 16 pages
    2. Duplicate an existing Template: yes. Group editing controls: no.
    3. A new page will be blank, unassigned
    4. Yes - this is on-device
    5. I'm not sure I understand - but I think yes
    6. Yes
    7. Not yet - this is coming soon
    8. KSMK3 can send MIDI over either USB or DIN, but not both simultaneously (the ability to do that is coming soon). When there is a USB host connection - this takes priority, and MIDI would no longer be sent via DIN. However, when connected via USB, you can of course use software on your computer to route the MIDI coming in via USB, back out of the DIN out port of the KSMK3, or indeed another interface.
    9. Yes, per template.

• Matthew_NI

Keyzones cannot overlap.

You may have up to 16 keyzones.

A MIDI Template, and the keyzones within it, dictates what MIDI is sent, and how it is sent, regardless of to what software you're connected (e.g. an NKS plug-in, a non NKS plug-in, an external hardware, etc).

Komplete Kontrol does not support layering of instruments.

Kontakt does - you can create Kontakt multis within Kontakt or from the KSMK3 when connected directly to Kontakt.

• RJ Hunter
    RJ Hunter Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

I understand that currently, S-Series Mk3 allows you to send MIDI via USB, via 5pin DIN, but not both simultaneously. For a bunch of reasons, I'm trying to come up with the easiest, most stable and reliable way to be able to live-play (hopefully using an S61 or S88 Mk3) …standalone or DAW hosted plugins (on a Mac), along with hardware MIDI devices (such as Roland XV-5080 or Yamaha TG-77).

I think I have two options:

A …MIDI out of the Mk3 via USB, which is usable by the standalone or DAW-hosted plugins …(assuming I've got properly aligned Mk3 & Plugin MIDI info) …but also …routing the USB-MIDI within the Mac to a Mac-to-MIDI interface, MIDI out …to the 5pin MIDI in on the XV (for example). Assuming that I've included a zone in the Mk3 MIDI template that is assigned to the MIDI Ch(s) I want to use for playing/controlling the sound(s) on the XV …and that I've matched the Mk3 MIDI assignments in the XV hardware settings …I think I'm going to have what I wanted …the standalone/DAW-hosted synths + the XV sounds …all responding in real-time to live playing on the Mk3… right? …or

B …the reverse of 'A' …I go out of the Mk3 MIDI out DIN plug, to the XV MIDI in …use the XV MIDI Thru connector to connect to the MIDI in on the Mac-to-MIDI interface…which make the incoming MIDI info available to the standalone/DAW hosted plugins …and I again get 'live played' XV+plugins …right?

Making the big assumption that either 'A' or 'B' 'patching' will end with plugins+external MIDI all responding to live-playing on the Mk3 keys/controls, my questions are:

1. am I a doofus for making the big assumption …and neither A or B will bring on the envisioned synth-bliss?
    2. If either A or B patch-plan works, is either likely to be more stable/reliable in a live-context? (My untested thinking is that B would be more stable …(because as long as the Mk3 sends MIDI out its 5pin port, the XV is virtually certain to respond …even if the Mac-to-MIDI interface, the standalone VST or DAW hosted stuff …or the Mac itself have issues). If I use patch-plan A, then if any hardware/software anywhere in the connectivity chain has a problem, I could potentially lose some or even all response to Mk3 live-playing…right?)
    3. If I use patch-plan B, anyone have any thought as to whether my bleeding edge Roland XV-5080 or Yamaha TG-77 synths will choke to death trying to pass poly aftertouch?
    4. regardless of the whether my big assumption is correct …I am still a doofus, right? …(just ask my wife☺️)

My hope is that I get confirmation that what I'm wanting to do 'live' is reasonably possible to achieve, and that it is likely to be stable and fit for purpose then …confirming also that I should save my dimes and nickels and eventually get myself a Mk3. Thanks for any consideration of these concepts.

• RJ Hunter

I understand that currently, S-Series Mk3 allows you to send MIDI via USB, via 5pin DIN, but not both simultaneously. For a bunch of reasons, I'm trying to come up with the easiest, most stable and reliable way to be able to live-play (hopefully using an S61 or S88 Mk3) …standalone or DAW hosted plugins (on a Mac), along with hardware MIDI devices (such as Roland XV-5080 or Yamaha TG-77).

A …MIDI out of the Mk3 via USB, which is usable by the standalone or DAW-hosted plugins …(assuming I've got properly aligned Mk3 & Plugin MIDI info) …but also …routing the USB-MIDI within the Mac to a Mac-to-MIDI interface, MIDI out …to the 5pin MIDI in on the XV (for example). Assuming that I've included a zone in the Mk3 MIDI template that is assigned to the MIDI Ch(s) I want to use for playing/controlling the sound(s) on the XV …and that I've matched the Mk3 MIDI assignments in the XV hardware settings …I think I'm going to have what I wanted …the standalone/DAW-hosted synths + the XV sounds …all responding in real-time to live playing on the Mk3… right? …or

B …the reverse of 'A' …I go out of the Mk3 MIDI out DIN plug, to the XV MIDI in …use the XV MIDI Thru connector to connect to the MIDI in on the Mac-to-MIDI interface…which make the incoming MIDI info available to the standalone/DAW hosted plugins …and I again get 'live played' XV+plugins …right?

Making the big assumption that either 'A' or 'B' 'patching' will end with plugins+external MIDI all responding to live-playing on the Mk3 keys/controls, my questions are:

1. am I a doofus for making the big assumption …and neither A or B will bring on the envisioned synth-bliss?
    2. If either A or B patch-plan works, is either likely to be more stable/reliable in a live-context? (My untested thinking is that B would be more stable …(because as long as the Mk3 sends MIDI out its 5pin port, the XV is virtually certain to respond …even if the Mac-to-MIDI interface, the standalone VST or DAW hosted stuff …or the Mac itself have issues). If I use patch-plan A, then if any hardware/software anywhere in the connectivity chain has a problem, I could potentially lose some or even all response to Mk3 live-playing…right?)
    3. If I use patch-plan B, anyone have any thought as to whether my bleeding edge Roland XV-5080 or Yamaha TG-77 synths will choke to death trying to pass poly aftertouch?
    4. regardless of the whether my big assumption is correct …I am still a doofus, right? …(just ask my wife☺️)

My hope is that I get confirmation that what I'm wanting to do 'live' is reasonably possible to achieve, and that it is likely to be stable and fit for purpose then …confirming also that I should save my dimes and nickels and eventually get myself a Mk3. Thanks for any consideration of these concepts.

• RJ Hunter

I understand that currently, S-Series Mk3 allows you to send MIDI via USB, via 5pin DIN, but not both simultaneously. For a bunch of reasons, I'm trying to come up with the easiest, most stable and reliable way to be able to live-play (hopefully using an S61 or S88 Mk3) …standalone or DAW hosted plugins (on a Mac), along with hardware MIDI devices (such as XV-5080 or TG-77).

3. If I use patch-plan B, anyone have any thought as to whether my bleeding edge XV-5080 or TG-77 synths will choke to death trying to pass poly aftertouch?

• RJ Hunter

I understand that currently, S-Series Mk3 allows you to send MIDI via USB, via 5pin DIN, but not both simultaneously. For a bunch of reasons, I'm trying to come up with the easiest, most stable and reliable way to be able to live-play (hopefully using an S61 or S88 Mk3) …standalone or DAW hosted plugins (on a Mac), along with hardware MIDI devices (such as XV-5080 or TG-77).

3. If I use patch-plan B, anyone have any thought as to whether my bleeding edge XV-5080 or TG-77 synths will choke to death trying to pass poly aftertouch?
    4. regardless of the whether my big assumption is correct …I am still a doofus, right? …(just ask my wife)

• crisNI
    edited August 14

This is something I'm currently working on.
    The material is super raw, but you'll get the idea.

I'm using the Korg WAVESTATE with a CXM 1978 reverb pedal,
    both controlled by the Kontrol S MK3 - in stand-alone mode.
    Nothing else is involved.

The Wavestate synth has four "Layers," each functioning as its own type of wave synth.
    Layers A to D receive signals on different MIDI channels, 1 through 4.
    The Wavestate's internal effects and main parameters receive signals on MIDI channel 5,
    The additional Reverb pedal receives MIDI on channel 6.

Layer A: Bassy sound,
    Layer B: plucky-sound,
    Layer
    C: this is a sample lane with random triggered samples (by poly AT🤤),
    Layer
    D: guitar-ish sound

all parameters are set up to the S61MK3 knobs & buttons.
    The colored LG key zones trigger only their respective layers.
    However, each of these four key zones is further split into several zones for different octaves and other configurations.

So far, so boring.
    now comes the polyphonic aftertouch (polyAT):
    Currently, it controls (per key) varying amounts of 16 LFOs, 32 amp envelopes, 32 filter envelopes, cutoffs, resonance, tuning, panning, voicing, order, effect amounts (and all parameters)—basically anything that can be modulated and assigned.
    And I'm not even halfway done setting this up properly—it's a total rabbit hole!

Addendum: Why would one do that?
    With this setup, I can map the cutoff controls or the 4 ARPs from four different layers to a single page on the MK3. This allows to trigger + tweak all the layers' filters simultaneously, without having to switch between them. Instead of going to the Korg synth, clicking on Layer A to tweak the filter, then switching to Layer C, tweaking its filter, and repeating the process for Layer B, I can now edit all the layers at the same time.

• chpiatt
    chpiatt Member Posts: 86 Helper

Is it possible to map the touchstrip to velocity while in fixed velocity mode? If not, is this on NI's roadmap as a feature?

• crisNI

Does anyone have the WAVESTATE and wanna try out the template?

Kontrol SMK3 x Wavestate

• FinalFrontier
    FinalFrontier Member Posts: 11 Member

May I suggest overlapping keyzones as a future option? Meanwhile, I'm gonna need to totally rework my workflow if I make the jump to MK3. Maschine could layer sounds for me. So can Komplete Kontrol only handle one sound? So it doesn't really work with these templates if you want multiple channels? Only a DAW (or direct to Kontakt) works for this?

• Mdot21
    Mdot21 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

How many templates can the MK3s hold?