Using S61 mk3/Komplete Kontrol in live/stage scenario

SensationLive
SensationLive Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited 10:54AM in Komplete Kontrol

Hi NI. I love the possibilities of this keyboard/software combination for live playing. The automapping of .nks instruments if perfect for me as a preset tweaker/storer

Sooooo, before purchasing I wanted to know if S61/KK has the ability to split/layer/send program change messages similar to what Mainstage/Gig Performer will do. Is there a pseudo Setlist mode type setup seen in Kronos/Montage/Fantom etc that can be achieved using favorites for quick/easy access of main sounds.

I know KK can be hosted launched as an instrument but defeats my goal of keeping my laptop off stage and viewing everything through the S61 screen.

Looking for feedback/experience of using S61 in a live situation. Thanks.

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert
    Answer ✓

Likely you will struggle and find that experience to be frustrating and lackluster.

KK on the surface appears as a live performance tool but lacks almost everything you have outlined. You cannot layer or split instruments, you can only load one instrument at a time. There is the ability to save presets but not easily arrange setlists and if you wanted to combine effects, you cant even save the effects and instruments as a chain for recall either. No ability to send program changes either. You can soon make a split MIDI template to control external gear if that is what you want to do… oh, the midi output from the keyboard does not work as a keyboard midi out when you connect to a PC either as you would expect and there are zero options in the software to change things like this.

Basically, it's far less useful for that than even a basic DAW, you would be better using Maschine for that kind of thing…. only thing is NI also removed all the old integration with Maschine too so basically, it's prob worth looking at another option. KK is just a glorified preset browser for Kontakt basically and a very basic MIDI keyboard.

As someone who has used KK for 10 years and liked the browsing capabilities when it firs came out, i've been completely underwhelmed by the lack of development and features in that time and the sheer snails pace speed that the few features a decade even dribble out. My opinion these days is there is far better bang for buck to be had, the latest Akai MPC Key is probably a better option these days for live performance along those lines but not something I ahve tested.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert
    Answer ✓

Likely you will struggle and find that experience to be frustrating and lackluster.

KK on the surface appears as a live performance tool but lacks almost everything you have outlined. You cannot layer or split instruments, you can only load one instrument at a time. There is the ability to save presets but not easily arrange setlists and if you wanted to combine effects, you cant even save the effects and instruments as a chain for recall either. No ability to send program changes either. You can soon make a split MIDI template to control external gear if that is what you want to do… oh, the midi output from the keyboard does not work as a keyboard midi out when you connect to a PC either as you would expect and there are zero options in the software to change things like this.

Basically, it's far less useful for that than even a basic DAW, you would be better using Maschine for that kind of thing…. only thing is NI also removed all the old integration with Maschine too so basically, it's prob worth looking at another option. KK is just a glorified preset browser for Kontakt basically and a very basic MIDI keyboard.

As someone who has used KK for 10 years and liked the browsing capabilities when it firs came out, i've been completely underwhelmed by the lack of development and features in that time and the sheer snails pace speed that the few features a decade even dribble out. My opinion these days is there is far better bang for buck to be had, the latest Akai MPC Key is probably a better option these days for live performance along those lines but not something I ahve tested.

• SensationLive

Thank you for your honest feedback Jester. I didn’t hear much about this type of this setup so figured it may not be that popular. It seems the emphasis is so much more focused in studios these days but I guess you gotta go after where best selling opportunities are. Maybe there’ll be a time when NI puts some real focus on live playing as they are halfway there with their current offering. Thank you again 👍

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

Just some general thoughts here…

I too would not recommend taking the MK3 on a live stage yet. First off, there have been way too many incidents of things suddenly going wrong with this new model, so I wouldn't do it unless I had a backup unit, or at least had a workable backup MIDI keyboard already a part of my performing rig…and of a make and model that would not require that I uninstall the KK 3 software and re-install KK 2.9.6 just to get my rig going again.

No way no way no way. A live show is not the time you want to be figuring things out and installing/re-installing drivers and apps!

I'm sorry, Native Instruments…I have a MK3 and I love it, but the hardware AND software "A-game" hasn't been brought yet.

• SensationLive

thank you for the feedback BIF. Yeah I’m pretty sure at least for the time being I will not be going The native instruments route.

This discussion has been closed.