Harmonic Parameter in FM8

SPASMODIC
SPASMODIC Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited 12:00PM in Massive X & Synths

Hi,

Could someone explain in detail exactly what the harmonic parameter does in fm8?

I find it really useful for quickly conjuring up new sounds on an existing patch.

Sometimes it sounds like it stays in tune and other times it seems it doesn't.

I want to know exactly what is happening so i can control this parameter a bit better.

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod
    Answer ✓

@SPASMODIC It's well explained in the manual, section 4.1. What is Frequency Modulation?

A little extract:

As a pure sine wave is pretty boring from a musical standpoint, this leads us
    to the extremely clever aspect of FM synthesis. Let’s add a control input to
    the Operator to modulate its frequency

Feed a sine wave into that control input. A low frequency wave produces
    vibrato by slowly changing the frequency over time. But an audio range signal
    produces one of two results. Signals that are not harmonically-related to the
    main oscillator create “clangourous” sounds. Injecting a harmonically-related
    signal generates harmonics that sound more “in-tune” (Both types of effects
    can be useful).
    The amount of harmonics depends on the level of signal injected into the main
    oscillator, and the harmonic structure depends on the modulating oscillator’s
    frequency. As timbre is primarily affected by the injected signal’s amplitude,
    adding a VCA after the modulating oscillator (along with an envelope generator
    to control the VCA/DCA) allows predictable control over the signal, hence the
    overall timbre. Our FM synthesis block diagram now looks like this.

• SPASMODIC

No that doesn't answer my question. I'm asking specifically about a single parameter.

I know how frequency modulation works. I'm asking about the Harmonic knob inside FM8

It's not clear in the manual how this works,it just states the following..

"Harmonic changes the harmonic content (by adjusting the Operator Ratios).
    Depending on the patch, the changed harmonics may be somewhat atonal."

I'm asking how does it do this and is there a way to steer towards either tonal or atonal.

Is there any relationship between the parameters value and dissonance/consonance?

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,772 mod
    edited June 7

Hello,

you can reply to your original post, there is no need to make a new one.

- What i would like to know is how it operates, as i am looking for more control over this parameter.
    - Is it possible to steer a sound in the direction of tonal or atonal output?
    - Is there a relationship between the parameters value and consonance/dissonance?

Since it is a very interesting subject (though i doubt that you will find an easy answer here), i will change the post type from "Question" to "Discussion". :-)

• SPASMODIC

My apologies i wasn't sure if my reply went through or not,i guess it takes a minute or two.

This discussion has been closed.