Massive Crashes in Ableton 12.0.2

Commodor
Commodor Member Posts: 9 Newcomer
edited 9:21AM in Massive X & Synths

So, I recently upgraded to ableton 12.0.2 and started to experience crashes lately (when i was in ableton 11.0.0 this wasn't happening). The crash happens even if I open a project and I let it sit there without doing anything. After like 5 minutes, CPU and Ram usage goes to 100% (saw this on the task manager) and a message pops up saying something like "A serious program error has occurred. Live will shut down as soon as this message box is closed".

While this started I was using a pirated Massive (i know, i know) but I finally managed to get a legit license that i wasn't using, because the first time i tried to upgrade to the legit version it wasn't finding all the massive vsts in my older projects but i finally managed to do it.

So i tried:

• Disabling Massive to see if it was his fault causing the crash and ableton didn't crash while running the projects with massive uninstalled.
  • unistalling the older pirated massive and installing the new legit one.
  • tried eliminating the folder where the database file is located(C/User/Appdata/local/NativeInstruments/Massive: NIMassiveDatabase2)

To be sure I also tried analyzing the DMP File that Ableton creates during a crash and the lines are correlated to Massive:

Also tried to copy the dmp file report to chatgpt (Lol) and it said that the crash is correlated to massive.

After uninstalling massive and reinstalling + eliminating database file, it seemed to not crash initially but eventually it started crashing again the next day.

PC SPECS:

• Windows 11 Home
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-14700F 2.10 GHz
  • Ram: 64 GB
  • Audio Drivers of Focurite USB Asio or sometimes Asio4All

Can you guys please help me find a solution?

Tagged:

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,829 mod

Hello,

does massive run stand alone?

• Commodor

Hi, yes the standalone version stays open and fuctioning while ableton 12.0.2 crashes

• Uwe303
    edited May 22

sorry i can´t test i forgot that i only have live lite 11, you could maybe check if both versions are the same. You can go to the vst(3) folder where the dll is stored and check for the version. And do you use vst3 or vst2? And if you open it stand alone, do you see a spinning wheel or something, then wait until it´s finished and try again to open in live.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,157 mod
  • PoorFellow
    edited May 22

I'd like to help , I just don't know how to since it appears to be either an issue in your end or an issue after some use that I wouldn't know how to 'generate' . All I have is the link to the standard trouble-shooting : Plug-ins Tips and Troubleshooting

However then your specific issue and the story attached to it also wants to make me want to ask to check your rig for malware and other things that could influence performance. Also check memory integrity. (mem test)

Also other Windows integrity tests :

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

• Uwe303
    edited May 22

I can confirm both versions vst2 and vst3 crash ableton live 12 - but in every other daw it works including live 11 - maybe something to tell ableton too

massive x too - i try now some other plugins but it will take a while cause i have to reopen live every time again, there sees to be a problem with other native plugins too

• Commodor

I already conducted memory test and the sfc/scannnow prompt in the command prompt. Also tried to check image Health through Command prompt and everything was fine. No errors or corrupted files.
    Also, thank you Uwe303 to have confirmed the crashes on your end.

• Uwe303
    edited May 22

Alao after searching the Internet I found also some ppl complaining about with other plugins, to me it seems like an issue on abletons end - but I forwarded it to native.

P.S. I also tried to start live as admin, cause in the dump it states that it could not write some files but it was no solution

• Commodor

I also tried that before with no success. I also suspected it could have been ableton's fault so i reposted this same thread on the ableton forum. It sucks because in that case waiting for an update fix could take much time. Could Native instruments comunicate directly with Ableton Team to fix this?

• PoorFellow

I can confirm both versions vst2 and vst3 crash ableton live 12

Sorry for asking a 'dumb question' , but how did you make it crash ? I inserted both Massive and Massive X VST3 in Ableton Live 12 Lite and I had no crash (?) I just inserted both again prior to clicking to post here. But as I wrote above then I didn't know what I were supposed to do. (and limited how much time I could invest anyway).

• Uwe303
    edited May 22

I just dragged it from the browser onto a new track, than I get a prompt at the bottom that says - this vst is disabled - when I renablee the plugin(s) and try to load it/them again live 12 crashes.

• PoorFellow

That probably explains the difference , I just selected the midi track in upper part of interface and then double clicked the plugin from list on the left side of interface. No crash that way. I can drag and drop from same left side list to same midi tracks.

I probably do not do it the right way from your perspective, but works for me.

• Uwe303
    edited May 22

that also crashes on my computer no matter how i try to open the plugins

P.S. i found the issue, the windows ransomeware protection, you just go to the block list, there is an entry for ableton live you select it ans set it to allow access to your user folder - there you go

enter "ransomeware" into the windows search bar then it will guide you to the correct setting then select "block list" or something like that

• Commodor

I don't have Ransomware protection active at all. It's disabled and was disabled already when i posted first.

• Uwe303

strange it totally solved the issue for me - have you tried to start live as administrator? And do you have this in the logfile: error: ExchangeDocument: Failed to create a temporary project: Der Ordner “C:/Users/yourusername/documents/……

This discussion has been closed.