Mounting S88 MK2 to a desk? Can I support S88 from beveled "lip" without support in middle?

JKavalier
JKavalier Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited 1:51PM in Komplete Kontrol

Hi want to mount my S88 underneath my studio desk. After a lot of research and youtube videos one of the best solutions seems to be the bracket (see image attached).

Due to clearance issues I don't want to put a full piece of wood/drawer underneath. Instead I would attach this bracket (with re-enforcement via a strip of wood parallel to bracket) to the "lip" of bevel of the S88 (see second image) with no other support in the middle.

I have tested it before mounting and it can certainly hold the weight.

However, should I be concerned there's nothing supporting the middle of the keyboard? Could it damage the keyboard or cause it to sag over time from playing?

Tagged:

Comments

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 897 Guru

I'm not sure I'd want to take that chance. Over time given the weight of the unit I could see enough pressure in the center to possible affect the keybed. My unit provides support centered in such a way that the ends and the center have an equal distribution of weight. But my rack is an absolute BEAST. Not exactly portable.

• JKavalier
    JKavalier Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

@DunedinDragon thanks for quick response. Did you mount an S88 to a desk? If so what was your approach? Any photos you can share?

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 312 Advisor
    edited May 20

A few years ago I purchased something similar to this eBay listing, the wooden table on the one I bought is 140cm wide and doesn’t have the side/back bits to stop stuff falling off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315379320145?

I have my S88 mk3 on it and have it adjusted so that there’s a 2cm gap between the highest part of the S88 and the underneath of my desk.

It’s on wheels and takes seconds to pull out and push back in.

Here’s two pics, one with my old S61 mk2 that shows more of how the table goes and one with how I’ve got it now with my S88 on it.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 714 Pro
    edited May 21

you could try… putting x2 thick polystyrene blocks 270mm X 100mm X height required on the sides…under the S88 thereby raising it, and then rig up a sliding mechnism on a wooden board to put other lighter controllers to slide under the S88…

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 897 Guru

No mine is a standalone unit with an upper shelf for a second keyboard. Weighs a TON.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

@JKavalier

Hi, I have S88 MK1, so not exactly the same build like you. But I think the KK might slightly bend if mounted just on ends….

I used to have my KK placed on "Spider like" keyboard stand. It had supports say in thirds, so the edges were in the air. And after a year or two there were problems. It has disapeared when I placed it to floor for few days… Now I have it placed on DIY drawner below the desk.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 665 Guru

If it was safe, the controller would have feet only in four corners and not also in the middle.

This discussion has been closed.