How do I get Maschine-sound through my computer speakers?

Options
Ethereal Fire
Ethereal Fire Member Posts: 10 Newcomer

Okay, so this problem is driving me crazy. Please help!

I don't even know if it's possible to solve this problem, but I can't see why it shouldn't be. Here's the reason: I can get audio from my computer to my headphones via my Maschine. So the audio runs from my computer through the usb-cable to the Maschine and then to the headphones I've connected at the back of the Maschine. So I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to make the audio run in the opposite direction, that is: from the Maschine through the usb-cable and to the computer and then from the computer to my computer speakers.

I've tried changing the audio settings many times in all the various possible constellations: I've changed the settings via the Maschine hardware trying out both the ASIO driver and the two WASAPI drivers in combination with different device selections such as the "high definition audio device" that my computer normally uses, but I've also tried with the Maschine as device. I've also tried to change this via the Maschine software, but with the same results. And I've also tried different combinations output devices in my Windows sound settings. But none of it has worked.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I don't want to go spend money on new speakers to then discover that I didn't need to.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,948 mod
    edited May 10 Answer ✓
    Options

Oh, then you should completely ignore the MK3 interface and just use your computer's built-in interface.

Select whatever device you use for general Windows Audio in the Maschine preferences, it should be something called WASAPI or ASIO, and underneath there should be an option to select the laptop speakers. You might also have to select the right outputs

Answers

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,190 Guru
    Options

The Maschine MK3 is a controller. It doesn't produce sound itself. The sound comes from the computer and the Maschine 2.0 desktop software. If you set the audio config in Maschine software correctly then the audio will play through your computer speakers.

You haven't given any detail though, other than saying you changed settings or you tried this, tried that.

• D-One
    edited May 10
    Options

You're kind of thinking of a USB cable like an audio cable, it doesn't go 'through' devices like that in 'directions'. The MK3 has an Audio interface, that's what sends/receives audio, the USB is a data cable for communication with it, all kinds, not just directional audio like an RCA cable.

from the Maschine through the usb-cable and to the computer and then from the computer to my computer speakers.

Maschine SW can only use one audio interface at a time, either the interface built into the MK3 or your computer interface - Even when software allows for selecting 2 interfaces it's one for Input and another for Output.

Why do want this to begin with? You want to hear things from the computer speakers but use the MK3 Audio inputs to sample or something? If not, then just set thew interface to be your computer, you dont have to use the MK3's interface if you dont need to.

If you have a valid reason to use both audio interfaces then you will need to combine them via software, on MacOS it's easy and built into the OS, on Windows you will need to install an application, ASIO4ALL can do it I think https://support.source-elements.com/source-nexus-io-user-guide/using-an-aggregate-device-and-source-nexus-io#:~:text=To%20create%20an%20Aggregate%20Device%20on%20Windows,to%20access%20the%20Advanced%20Options.

• Ethereal Fire
    Options

Sorry, but there are many different combinations, so I just wanted to avoid taking a bunch of screenshots.

I just tried again and here's something odd: I connected my headphones directly to my computer and went into my Maschine software > preferences > audio > and selected WASAPI driver in combination with my computer audio interface (I presume) "High Definition Audio Device". I also selected this "High Definition Audio Device" as my audio output in my Windows settings. And sound is coming from the Machine and through my headphones now! I don't get it.

• Ethereal Fire
    Options

D-one I simply want to hear the sounds that my mk3 makes through my computer speakers, so I don't have to wear headphones all the time and so that people sitting next to me can hear what's going on. And I don't want to spend money on new speakers if I don't have to.

• D-One
    edited May 10 Answer ✓
    Options

Oh, then you should completely ignore the MK3 interface and just use your computer's built-in interface.

Select whatever device you use for general Windows Audio in the Maschine preferences, it should be something called WASAPI or ASIO, and underneath there should be an option to select the laptop speakers. You might also have to select the right outputs

• Ethereal Fire
    edited May 10
    Options

Okay, I can't get the quote function in here to work properly (my problems are without end, haha), so I'm just gonna quote you, D-One, the old school way:

"You might also have to select the right outputs".

That did it for me! The software had by default been sending the signal to my headphones and I'd been so caught up in the other settings that I missed this important detail completely. Omg. Sorry. But I'm very new to this, I just got my mk3 a few days ago.

I'm now finally able to hear sound from the mk3 coming through my computer speakers! So thank you very much!

• D-One
    Options

No prob. Glad you got it sorted, time to make some music now! 😃

• Ethereal Fire
    Options

Yes! And time to return the RCA to RCA cable I bought yesterday in order to connect my stereo system to my external audio interface as a work-around, haha!