control Maschine mixer faders from KeyLab MK II via Midi?

Options
StefanS59
StefanS59 Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

Hi there,

I'm new to Maschine MK3 (just bought one) and I'm enjoying the workflow it offers (I use it standalone mostly for just jamming and creating some patterns 'on the fly' just for the fun of it).

I have a KeyLab MK II which has nice faders I'd like to use dedicated to control the mixer (volume of each group).

I loved this when I was using Ableton live, because I can see the position of the faders at a glance and without touching any other knob or switching modes was able to adjust the volume.

Is it possible to control the Maschine mixer faders with Midi CC commands? Where can I find the corresponding CC parameters? As far as I know I could configure the KeyLab to send any CC codes that Maschine would need.

Thx in advance,

Stefan

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,947 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@StefanS59 asked:

What I can't figure out (yet) if or how:

a) I can 'learn' a Midi CC for the master volume (KeyLab has a 9th slider)

Master Audio level (actually all the IO) cannot be MIDI mapped:

A workaround is to add a plugin that doesn't do anything, for example, an EQ (without any boosting/cutting) and MIDI map its Gain level instead.

b) I can learn a Midi CC for selecting a group (the A - H buttons on the Maschine) . I would love to be able to do this with the button below each slider on the KeyLab MK II.

Nope, not possible. Generally Maschine's dedicated functions cant be MIDI Mapped, things like selection, menu switching, even the very basics like Play, Record, Stop, etc…

You can also do it for Pad levels, BTW those are indeed the Mixer levels.

Answers

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 667 Pro
    Options

in Maschine stand-alone, theres a arrow down icon, below the plugin icon… once pressed it will reveal the midi-learn…

and you can map whatever has the midi-learn…

what im not entirely sure about is whether you can save them at keep them saved in your project? so you would need to test that aspect out…ie save as a group or save as a project and test to see if the midi-learns are saved…

you wouldnt want to map a whole lot of midi, and then find out you cannot recall it

goodluck

• macchinista
    macchinista Member Posts: 33 Helper
    Options

The Mixer levels cannot be controlled by MIDI, but you can midi learn the Group levels. I believe those assignments are saved with the project.

• StefanS59
    Options

That's great!

I managed to 'learn' the connection between my faders to the corresponding 'level' knob in Maschine. The assignment is saved in the project, so no problem reloading it.

b) I can learn a Midi CC for selecting a group (the A - H buttons on the Maschine) . I would love to be able to do this with the button below each slider on the KeyLab MK II.

Any ideas?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,947 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@StefanS59 asked:

Master Audio level (actually all the IO) cannot be MIDI mapped:

A workaround is to add a plugin that doesn't do anything, for example, an EQ (without any boosting/cutting) and MIDI map its Gain level instead.

b) I can learn a Midi CC for selecting a group (the A - H buttons on the Maschine) . I would love to be able to do this with the button below each slider on the KeyLab MK II.

Nope, not possible. Generally Maschine's dedicated functions cant be MIDI Mapped, things like selection, menu switching, even the very basics like Play, Record, Stop, etc…

You can also do it for Pad levels, BTW those are indeed the Mixer levels.

• StefanS59
    Options

Thank you for that brillant idea with the equalizier, I'll do it that way!!