VARIATION function does not allow you to humanize only timing or only velocity

2»

Comments

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

I had not seen your post, excellent 😁

I suggested this for the purpose of discovery, analysis and learning.

And to take up your post, it's funny how the same feature can lead us to two completely opposite ideas 😄

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor

yeah and that's pretty much what people do already with Ableton midi effects, Max/MSP midi modifiers, Reaktor, Pyramid/Hapax midi effects, Sequentix Cirklon, Conductive Labs NDLR etc.etc.

with a "scale" FX and other tweaks you can have truly musical lines, in context.

and the very many guys who make generative music on youtube with the kind of material listed above are there to testify to that (even an Arturia Keystep can do generative patterns)

but with Maschine "variations mode "... hm….not so much :-)

at least I've never seen a real musical example with that….yet..

(that said, MPCs have the same defect... everything is in deferred time)

• Olihop
    edited May 2022

Finally, I think that what maschine lacks the most is a precise idea of what he wants to be, for the moment he gives me the impression of moving forward in a fog.

To sum up the feeling I have about maschine for some time is that it does everything and nothing at the same time (as shown in Variation). This feeling is certainly perceived by the fact that the different parts of maschine do not form a whole but rather an addition of things too independent from each other.

And to take up your post TheLoudest, it is obvious that the great potential of midi is not exploited enough in maschine.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro

hehe, to me the M+ is like an old sampler or drum machine but extremely competent and developed, even too developed bcs of the extreme ease of use and the countless of possibilities and functions that are already included compared to other units. Like a normal person turning into the big ass power ranger. I think it’s too developed trying to include too much, fading away from what it truly is, a hyper advanced groove box that people seem to mistake for a complete daw, or they wish it turned into one. I feel certain things are not supposed to fit inside this box. That’s why we have daws. It would be awesome, but not probable. Maschine+, as it is now in terms of what it CAN do (assuming it will get stability first and foremost), must have been the utopia of the people behind the first units a long long long time ago.

• Olihop

In 2022 I have reservations about "a hyper advanced groove box". For me, they should have concentrated more on the sampler which is the heart of the maschine. It was left aside and that's a shame. No evolution for so many years and still no real time stretching.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,354 Expert

@HammyHavoc wrote:

A lot of width, but not much depth. Sums up Maschine perfectly feature-wise.

"A lot of width, but not much depth."

Sums up pretty much every product of today.

Sums up pretty much our whole society.

• Mudchild
    Mudchild Member Posts: 14 Member

Oof, getting deep! All I wanted was to be able to loosen the timing without screwing over the velocity 😃

• [Deleted User]
  • djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro

thinking it would be better to be the best at a few things than trying to add too much and be half-good at many things.

• [Deleted User]