questions about the use of artificial intelligence in izotope plug ins.

Options
RayanY3
RayanY3 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hello,
My name is Rayan, 
im a student currently on my third year of musicology. Im working on a research paper concerning the use of artificial intelligence in musical post production and i was wondering if there was someone at izotope who could answer some questions or maybe if there was a email address i could direct my inquiries to. Izotope is probably one of the leading plug in creators in the field of A.I so I would very much appreciate if I could maybe talk to someone about it. 
Thank you very much for your time and have a good day !

Tagged:

Best Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,327 mod
    edited May 3 Answer ✓
    Options

or maybe if there was a email address i could direct my inquiries to

No .

i was wondering if there was someone at izotope who could answer some questions

N.I. might own iZotope but the entry to iZotope is at the iZotope site and for consumers all entry is through iZotope support.

I am not an N.I. employee and I do not 'speak' for neither N.I. nor iZotope. However it is my personal opinion that you have misunderstood how 'stuff' and 'the world' works. Both are programmers expensive to have on staff so they generally can not spend their time delivering educational handouts and also I am sure that the programmers generally are on a NDA and not allowed to communicate about their work to outsiders. While I think not then I could be wrong but you will have to ask iZotope support.

However I compiled the following resource list , in particular please notice the two first links mentioning Research ! :

iZotope research team (three Research Team Article links + Internship Program mention at page bottom)

iZotope Research (Six Research Highlights article links + Research Bibliography)

iZotope RX Tips & Tutorials , Our Best Articles on RX (both part of the Learn part of the site)

Work With Us

Media & Press Resources

iZotope for Education

Downloads : 10 Day trials

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 530 Pro
    edited May 2 Answer ✓
    Options

I think there's a huge disconnect with the public about what AI is at this point. You can generate AI driven results, but it's all done over the internet through large power hungry computers that have been "taught" the principles of good audio production due to the size and complexity of the hardware necessary to do such things.

The biggest impediment when it comes to music production is that what needs to come into the picture is often derived from emotions and how a particular mix draws out certain human emotions. Unfortunately emotions are the one thing AI struggles with because humans themselves only sense it but can't describe it adequately in a consistent way in order for a computer to learn how achieve it. Maybe in a generation or two it will be there, but not now.

A tremendous source of information on this topic which might be relevant to your research paper is Troels Folmann who can be found over on the Discord servers at Soundpaint and 8DIO as he's been heavily involved in AI musicology research for a number of years.

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,327 mod
    edited May 3 Answer ✓
    Options

or maybe if there was a email address i could direct my inquiries to

No .

i was wondering if there was someone at izotope who could answer some questions

N.I. might own iZotope but the entry to iZotope is at the iZotope site and for consumers all entry is through iZotope support.

I am not an N.I. employee and I do not 'speak' for neither N.I. nor iZotope. However it is my personal opinion that you have misunderstood how 'stuff' and 'the world' works. Both are programmers expensive to have on staff so they generally can not spend their time delivering educational handouts and also I am sure that the programmers generally are on a NDA and not allowed to communicate about their work to outsiders. While I think not then I could be wrong but you will have to ask iZotope support.

However I compiled the following resource list , in particular please notice the two first links mentioning Research ! :

iZotope research team (three Research Team Article links + Internship Program mention at page bottom)

iZotope Research (Six Research Highlights article links + Research Bibliography)

iZotope RX Tips & Tutorials , Our Best Articles on RX (both part of the Learn part of the site)

Work With Us

Media & Press Resources

iZotope for Education

Downloads : 10 Day trials

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 530 Pro
    edited May 2 Answer ✓
    Options

I think there's a huge disconnect with the public about what AI is at this point. You can generate AI driven results, but it's all done over the internet through large power hungry computers that have been "taught" the principles of good audio production due to the size and complexity of the hardware necessary to do such things.

The biggest impediment when it comes to music production is that what needs to come into the picture is often derived from emotions and how a particular mix draws out certain human emotions. Unfortunately emotions are the one thing AI struggles with because humans themselves only sense it but can't describe it adequately in a consistent way in order for a computer to learn how achieve it. Maybe in a generation or two it will be there, but not now.

A tremendous source of information on this topic which might be relevant to your research paper is Troels Folmann who can be found over on the Discord servers at Soundpaint and 8DIO as he's been heavily involved in AI musicology research for a number of years.

• RayanY3
    RayanY3 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you all for the answers, and yeah I was not expecting any in depth answers to how the programs worked, obviously they can't speak in detail about the inner workings of their plug ins in order to keep their competitive advantages but i was just shooting my shot, who knows what could've came of it. I was just prowling the internet for sources and examples to use and talk about. In my opinion there's no stupid question and asking is the first step to getting an answer, personally I think that's how the world "works" and moves forward. 😁

Thank you all for your time and your inputs ! I'll definitely look into all the suggestions you both offered.

best wishes.