Komplete keeps giving me problems.

Options
BetoStudio
BetoStudio Member Posts: 17 Member
edited April 11 in Komplete Kontrol

Every time I open Maschine or my Daw my Komplete A61 behaves in different ways. Sometimes the keyboard does not work, other times it behaves as if it were a universal keyboard, other times the "fixed velocity" or "key mode" keys do not work.

I've been installing and uninstalling applications for weeks, deleting files in regedit and even installing everything from scratch.

Every day something seems to not work, every day a new bug, a new unwanted behavior, disappearance of functionality...

I didn't buy this keyboard for it to become a problem.

I was considering buying a MK3, but I think the experience is negative enough that I should consider other brands and will put this keyboard on sale. What a shame about the brand. I'm sorry I give up on you

Best Answer

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 611 Pro
    Answer βœ“
    Options

Before OP just gives up, I think some questions and answers are in order. This is ALWAYS a worthwhile exercise...especially if we go through it and he trips over something really silly, like a loose USB cable or something. 😁

Oh, and OP has to promise to apologize in big huge letters if it turns out his configuration was goobered up and it was never an NI problem to begin with. I'm getting tired of hearing every single complaint becoming an immediate accusation that NI is as evil as Sauron himself, and all without proof. And then when the problem is sussed, the blame thing is ignored and/or gets swept under the rug and doesn't get acknowledged that it was something OTHER than an NI issue.

Now that all of that is out of the way, let's start at the BEGINNING. That will give us the best chance of getting you up and running.

1. Please stop messing around in Regedit, at least until we find something FIRM for you to do. Just poking around in your registry without a plan or strategy is just asking for trouble, and it doesn't matter if you were one of the original engineers/designers of the Windows Registry. We're all power users here in one way or many, so we get it. But then, we also know that even power users have the capability to really mess things up without trying too hard. And you know I'm right! πŸ˜‰
    2. We know it's a Windows computer because you mentioned the Registry.
      1. What kind, laptop or tower?
      2. If tower, what kind of power supply is in there, and how many watts?
      3. How much memory?
      4. What kind of processor?
    3. When was the last time that this setup worked correctly...or the first time you started having these troubles?
      1. If you can remember, did you make any system changes before, after, or right around the time the troubles began?
      2. Does the trouble happen only when you're running Komplete Kontrol, or does it happen when you run one of the instruments directly? If so, give us an example.
      3. Does the trouble NOT happen when you run a particular instrument? If true, give us an example.
    4. We need to know what you're running.
      1. Windows version...10 or 11? What's the patch, update, or build level? You'll need to go into settings to find this.
      2. Komplete Kontrol Version? Hint: You probably should be on version 2.9.6. Versions beginning with "3" are for MK3 keyboards.
      3. Native Access version? 3.9.1 is the most current.
      4. What host DAW are you running and what version is it? Is it the most current version available?
      5. Do you switch from one DAW/host to another and back again...for example, going from Ableton Live to Cubase Artist and back? If yes, explain how you do this so that your devices don't stop working (or get commandeered by the wrong DAW), etcetera.
      6. For each of the above, please look them up via help/about...it might matter, so don't go off of memory.
    5. Please describe how the A61 is hooked up to your computer.
      1. Total length of USB cables in feet, yards, or meters (we have calculators, so we can convert), and if you changed any of the cables recently.
      2. Are they USB-C at any point in the chain, or are they "old school USB-A or USB-B" from end-to-end?
      3. If there's a hub in there somewhere, please tell us about that, and don't forget to mention if it is active (you plug it into AC power) or passive (gets power from USB so no AC wall-wart).
      4. Also please tell us if it's got an AC adapter but you only use USB bus power.
    6. Is there any other hardware or software plugged in that we should know about?
    7. Have you had any power outages or surges?

That should be a good start. Looking forward to seeing your details!

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,909 mod
    edited April 11
    Options

Despite how many problems I have read about here over time and despite that recently I think that N.I. have given some reason for some people to complain then I don't think that your complaint sounds like any of it. And to be frank I think that what your problem sounds like is a defective unit of some kind or some advanced system problem, USB , port , driver , OS , DAW problem , something..

If you have a setup that works and you do not update it then the system and your experience ought not change unless it's not setup correctly or there is a defect somewhere..

Long story short then I think that there must be some specific reason for your problem other than what you have focused at !

Try concentrating on using one unit for a while either the Komplete A61 or the Maschine and see if experience keeps changing if using only that unit and then do the same using only the other unit and see if you can narrow down the problem.

Also you could check if you have anything running on the Windows box PC that could interfere...

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 611 Pro
    Answer βœ“
    Options

Before OP just gives up, I think some questions and answers are in order. This is ALWAYS a worthwhile exercise...especially if we go through it and he trips over something really silly, like a loose USB cable or something. 😁

Oh, and OP has to promise to apologize in big huge letters if it turns out his configuration was goobered up and it was never an NI problem to begin with. I'm getting tired of hearing every single complaint becoming an immediate accusation that NI is as evil as Sauron himself, and all without proof. And then when the problem is sussed, the blame thing is ignored and/or gets swept under the rug and doesn't get acknowledged that it was something OTHER than an NI issue.

Now that all of that is out of the way, let's start at the BEGINNING. That will give us the best chance of getting you up and running.

1. Please stop messing around in Regedit, at least until we find something FIRM for you to do. Just poking around in your registry without a plan or strategy is just asking for trouble, and it doesn't matter if you were one of the original engineers/designers of the Windows Registry. We're all power users here in one way or many, so we get it. But then, we also know that even power users have the capability to really mess things up without trying too hard. And you know I'm right! πŸ˜‰
    2. We know it's a Windows computer because you mentioned the Registry.
      1. What kind, laptop or tower?
      2. If tower, what kind of power supply is in there, and how many watts?
      3. How much memory?
      4. What kind of processor?
    3. When was the last time that this setup worked correctly...or the first time you started having these troubles?
      1. If you can remember, did you make any system changes before, after, or right around the time the troubles began?
      2. Does the trouble happen only when you're running Komplete Kontrol, or does it happen when you run one of the instruments directly? If so, give us an example.
      3. Does the trouble NOT happen when you run a particular instrument? If true, give us an example.
    4. We need to know what you're running.
      1. Windows version...10 or 11? What's the patch, update, or build level? You'll need to go into settings to find this.
      2. Komplete Kontrol Version? Hint: You probably should be on version 2.9.6. Versions beginning with "3" are for MK3 keyboards.
      3. Native Access version? 3.9.1 is the most current.
      4. What host DAW are you running and what version is it? Is it the most current version available?
      5. Do you switch from one DAW/host to another and back again...for example, going from Ableton Live to Cubase Artist and back? If yes, explain how you do this so that your devices don't stop working (or get commandeered by the wrong DAW), etcetera.
      6. For each of the above, please look them up via help/about...it might matter, so don't go off of memory.
    5. Please describe how the A61 is hooked up to your computer.
      1. Total length of USB cables in feet, yards, or meters (we have calculators, so we can convert), and if you changed any of the cables recently.
      2. Are they USB-C at any point in the chain, or are they "old school USB-A or USB-B" from end-to-end?
      3. If there's a hub in there somewhere, please tell us about that, and don't forget to mention if it is active (you plug it into AC power) or passive (gets power from USB so no AC wall-wart).
      4. Also please tell us if it's got an AC adapter but you only use USB bus power.
    6. Is there any other hardware or software plugged in that we should know about?
    7. Have you had any power outages or surges?

That should be a good start. Looking forward to seeing your details!