Psytrance style kick and bass

Options

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,161 mod
    edited April 19
    Options

Yes you are correct about him using the m+, I tried only with the build in drum synth and could not replicate a psy kick, but with re-sampling internally and using then the envelope on pitch should work.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Options

I suppose that secret release is something related to this genre, since you chose this thread…

In that case, I would make Humantree01 himself win it, so he will solve his needs ☺️

• Scott Frost
    Scott Frost Member Posts: 36 Helper
    Options

I’m surprised NI hasn’t come out with a kick synth yet? Or even making their effects into pedals!

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,410 mod
    Options

The first thing you need to take care about, is that a psy-trance kick has to be big, tight and powerful but not overpowering. Along with the bassline, the kick makes up the basis and basic tone of the track. However, a perfect kick is rare and possibly hard to achieve and it may take much experimentation. I recommend to look for a synthesized kick at first, because while you can probably use some good kick samples, it is often hard to get the proper frequencies. If you have a hardware synth, start from there, however a good virtual synth will also do the job fine!

No matter what you are going to use, a simple (but powerful) way to create a good trance kick is to use 2 oscillators: One oscillator will create the bass background, while the other oscillator will provide the click. Oscillator 1 should be set to a sine wave. The basic frequency of the Oscillator should be set to about 60Hz. This frequency will of course change as you tune it to the bass line in your track, but it usually lays between 50 and 100Hz. For Oscillator 2, you will need to tune it one to three octaves above the Oscillator 1 frequency. Each synth does this in its own way so you may need to experiment on this. Then you can play with the different wave forms and octaves to achieve the desired click. Of course, this probably won’t sound like a kick until you start play with the envelopes (Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release). Finally, when you are happy with your result, a final touch with a Filter cut-off and resonance may give to your kick a more unique character!

...and remember, experiment is your best friend. Good luck! :-)

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,161 mod
    Options

Native has TRK-1, it's really fun to use, there for sure reakror instruments too to create kick drums.

• Dazmatron
    Dazmatron Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Massive kicks eh? gimme some of that goodness! you know I need it.

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 209 Advisor
    Options

I prob use the kick and bass which is more universally accepted. Not into Psytrance myself.

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 21
    Options

i will like to see an amazing real Drum machine software, for build greats drums patterns, is possible to find few product out there in the market, but i dont really convince me, and with maschine hardware is possible with random pattern tool, but in any case am still thinking that is a nice market and is there a group of user of NI hoping for get a new way of fun software for build drum and get nices pattern.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,364 Expert
    Options

Would be lovely to have that on the M+. I guess that Ensemble doesn’t ear up a lot of CPU so it would be just a matter of making it available.

• Eervi
    Eervi Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hope to say some nice words

• Lucian89
    Lucian89 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Nothing matters except the truth.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,188 Guru
    Options

I watched the video posted by Uwe303 and they just sounded like normal kicks to me!

It wasn't obvious what the difference was supposed to be. 🤔

• Greggsonic
    Greggsonic Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

NI and Traktor user for over 14 years plus an avid producer, always looking to get a better sounding kick and bass! Bring on the mystery box and hope luck is in my favour to make my producing that much more delicious in the year to come. <3

• Samplaire
    Samplaire Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I’d like to know it, too!