Keep Kontakt Instruments and Samples with DAW Project

Options
Disreality
Disreality Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hello -

What is the proper way to keep Kontakt sampler instruments and samples with a DAW project, when moving it to different directories, or different computers/studios? The goal is to make the Logic project completely portable, even taking it to a different computer which does not have the same hard drive structure and does not have the samples on it.

I've tried saving the instruments into the (Logic) project folder, with Patch and Samples selected, leaving the Sample sub-dir set to <default>. As expected, this saves the instruments and a properly named samples sub-folder within my Logic project folder.

However, if I move or rename the project folder, then opening the project results in Kontakt instruments with the samples missing. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 257 Pro
    edited April 4
    Options

that idea has never worked for me with kontakt instruments

• Disreality
    Options

Very unfortunate. Has anyone found a good elegant solution to making a DAW project portable, including its Kontakt instruments?

• Simchris
    Options

"printing" a work copy to take elsewhere, is often best choice.

• Disreality
    Options

Yes, where feasible, I do that. However, in my working approach, especially in early stages of project, all MIDI instrument tracks need to be kept "virtual", i.e. running the MIDI to play the virtual instruments. This is so as I will be most likely further editing that MIDI as the project develops (changing parts, sounds, maybe key and tempo, etc.). So printing (freezing, bouncing, etc.) would prevent that creative flexibility.

• Simchris
    Options

I think the only way that worked for us wayback was with two different machines, making sure we had the same external drive setup with same name on Mac.

So, if samples were always set at /sampledrive/ni/samples/mysamplepack/file1,2,3 (or whatever)

then when loading Kontakt on on other Mac with same prefs, the session could 'find' the samples, since set to look in same place.

trying to load the session samples from

/audiodrive/projects/cooltracks/samplepack/file1,2,3

will likely drive you insane

w