How do you setup your orchestra?

Options

Comments

• NodeOperator
    NodeOperator Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

My orchestra parts are written and modified, like any other track I write, I don’t use templates, but I would, If I was writing regularly for scoring to picture or game, I feel that’s the point, really. It depends on the project. Of late, my string sections come from a combination of Spitfire Audio, Albion Neo, NI Arkhis and Lores, and I don’t need much more. But looking to the future, I am thinking of moving into something more tethered/routed in nature, so winds will probably feature more. I love hybrid instruments that shift between synth and sample, Sonuscore Time Textures is nice.

• JKB999
    JKB999 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

There is no right or wrong way to set up your orchestra - it has to work for you.

Mine:

Equipment wise SSDs USB C/Thunderbolt. Each section of the orchestra on its own drive. Max RAM.

I Use VSL Ensemble Pro with a Gigabit link from the slaves to the master

DAW - Logic or Cubase

Mix - Pro Tools

Rather perversely I prefer not to use templates - that way I don’t get dragged down the wrong timbre route. Create your own database of your libraries so you know where that sound is.

Sketch out my ideas and structure (Storybook). Create a Lead sheet or notate in StaffPad. (Muse 4 is also good)

I Bounce to Audio before the Mix. I am using MIR 3D and Dolby Atmos more and more these days.

Gain Stage and EQ.

TIP: When you have the time create idealised EQs matched to each instrument in your libraries - same with instrument position in the orchestra.

• lairyboy
    lairyboy Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Can't really add anything else to what has been said before. Faster drives = faster loading.

One think springs to mind though, if you could bare the time it would take to trouble shoot. Remove one track at a time and see what the loading time is, is there a specific instrument/soundset that takes significantly longer than others to load? You could use an alternative or only add it if you definitely need it in your track and run your template without it.

• wesmont
    wesmont Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I use VSL Vienna Ensemble 7 Server filled with VSL Instruments and Cubase on one PC. In VE7 I group the sections (Instances) and load the instances as one instrument. That way I may load different Cubvase projects without loading the instruments everytime. Works fine for me although my PC is midrange (I9 10 Core 64 GB ram, M2 SSD.)

• Chris Hunt
    Chris Hunt Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

There’s a really good BBC orchestra plug-in that I’ve got somewhere but not tried it out properly yet

• John Tosom
    John Tosom Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I only have 16 GB of memory and that is why I cannot load large libraries, so my solution is to have a base template with simple instruments to compose and then create another project with the different sections already composed previously and here use the instruments that are I want to use, then I export in WAV format and finally in a new project I do the mixing

• The Adam Smasher
    The Adam Smasher Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

What's this side volume thing you're talking about here Milos?

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,968 Guru
    Options

You know which volume or gain: from the Mid Side effect from GR7 or Stereo Tool vst2 plugin.

• The Adam Smasher
    Options

You guys sound much more advanced however I found this video great for an orchestra template to get you started.

• The Adam Smasher
    Options
  • Milos
    Options

No problem, bro.

Here is the image of the StereoTool plugin, which is free to download.

Here is the link for the free plugin :)

Stereo Tool - Freeware - FLUX:: Immersive

• Milos
    Options

By the way, let me explain how the plugin works:

Width knob is basically very close to the MId/Side concept, probably the midside itself.

When the white knob for Width is all the way right, you are increasing the side volume, as for the left side, you are increasing the gain of the mid channel.

For the Pan knob, you know the drill.

• bdm
    bdm Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I find it interesting to write/program small ensembles first ie strg/woodland quartet/quintet etc and then expand to full orchestra. A great way to hear inner-voice movement and cluster harmonies. Sometimes I use the small emsembles mixed as ‘feature’ over the backdrop of orchestral doubling support. Cheers!

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 208 Advisor
    Options

Commenting to enter :)

• Morendo
    Morendo Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I use VE Pro to host intruments.

For smaller projects you can use a wrapper (VEP, Patchwork or Unify) directly in the DAW as it helps to distribute the load of a single track across CPU cores which most DAWs don't do as well by default.