How do you setup your orchestra?

Options

Comments

• laserbeak
    laserbeak Member Posts: 148 Helper
    Options

Yeah, biggest obstacle now would be turning this base project into a more efficient one.

I like a lot of the other libraries that I'm seeing, but I'm too early in the game to fully replace my "NI Orchestra", and I don't want a whole bunch of instruments that sound like they come from different concert halls.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,634 Expert
    Options

That is usually a case that you need to set room/reverb for all your instruments OFF which is usually possible then you setup the correct send effects to tie everything together but I know what you are saying, sometimes the timbre of sound from one set of instruments to another doesn't quite match

Did you happen to try set the samples to stream from disk instead of load into RAM, did that make any difference?

• laserbeak
    Options

As soon as I get a chance, I will let you know (probably this weekend). I was putting a 16-bit orchestra together last weekend.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 630 Pro
    Options

"Did you happen to try set the samples to stream from disk instead of load into RAM, did that make any difference?"

Man oh man, I'm a knucklehead for not thinking of this earlier! Yes, Jester is right. Please test streaming ASAP. It may be an order of magnitude less time (if such a thing exists).

• laserbeak
    edited April 4
    Options

I see no options for disk streaming. Do I do that in the stand-alone?

• BIF
    edited April 4
    Options

Well, it appears that they moved my cheese when I wasn't looking! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

There USED TO BE a button to turn on and off DFD (Direct From Disk). But apparently now, it is done by a number of different settings in Kontakt for the purposes of fine-tuning to each individual user's needs.

Here's the intro page on DFD: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209544589-What-is-DFD

At the bottom of that page, there is a link to a deep-dive PDF...basically EVERYTHING you wanted to know about DFD. And I do mean EVERYTHING.

I'd explain all of this to you, but haha, it seems that I need to take myself back to DFD school before I can explain it to anybody...so color me embarrassed! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

But hey, at least I'm (still) trainable! Anyhow, I hope this helps.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,634 Expert
    Options

Try also "Load Samples in Background" and see if that makes a difference. I don't use the latest Kontakt but know there use to be a simple checkbox to load samples from disk instead of into ram.

• laserbeak
    Options

I'm aware of disk streaming, it's been around for a fairly long time. I just had my doubts that it would be capable of making a difference. Still I'd like to try it, if I could find the control to do so :(

That's already selected, so that's not going to work.

• laserbeak
    Options

Hmm this is interesting. Problem is, KONTAKT doesn't tell me how much i'm currently using

• BIF
    Options

Keep us posted on your progress. I know with all those settings, it may take awhile to sus out what works from what doesn't.

• laserbeak
    Options

looks like DFD may be enabled by default.

With the loading times, I doubt that's the case with the libraries I'm using, but I'll let you know.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,611 admin
    Options

Join this week's chat for a chance to win next month's secret release

Hey everyone

We've got a major release lined up for next month, and we're excited to offer you the chance to score it for free. Here's how:

• Join this month's featured discussion from @laserbeak
    • Leave a comment in this thread to automatically enter the raffle

One lucky winner will be chosen from this thread next month. We can't reveal all the details just yet, but trust me, it's going to be awesome.

Thanks @laserbeak for kicking off this discussion. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts. Best of luck to all!

---

Terms & Conditions: This competition is being conducted by NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GmbH from April 19, 2024 until May 23, 2024. By entering the competition, participants agree to these terms and conditions. All personal information is protected by privacy and data protection laws and will not be shared with third parties. Participants must be 18 years of age or older. Employees of Native Instruments are not eligible to participate. By submitting an entry on the online community, participants can win a free NFR license of one product released in May 2024. One winner will be chosen at random. The winner will be notified by direct message, and is required to notify Native Instruments that s/he accepts the prize within one week after receiving the notification. If Native Instruments does not receive notification within this period, the winner forfeits the prize and Native Instruments reserves the right to choose another winner. A cash payout of the prize is ruled out. The right of appeal is excluded. The laws of the Federal Republic of Germany apply exclusively; Berlin, Germany, shall be the exclusive court of jurisdiction.ย 

• laserbeak
    Options

Lol nice.

Good luck everyone!

• Dazmatron
    Dazmatron Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Wicked , thank yo!

• BronwynH
    BronwynH Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

SSD hard drives all the way, go into settings and make sure you are utilising all of your processors. 64 Gig of RAM almost a must. Then you're ready to start.