March 2024 – a community update from our Chief Product Officer

Options

Comments

• Scott Lawlor
    Scott Lawlor Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Hi Simon. thank you for all of the updates. You mentioned kontakt, are there plans to update and expand content for reaktor? there are a lot of libraries available but sadly, a lot of the material in the user forum isn't nks compliant so it would be nice if nI could expand reaktor with more banks of sounds at some point

I appreciate all you guys do regarding accessibility, it has exponentially improved my music over the last 3 and a half years.

• Gabrielsburg
    Gabrielsburg Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

It sounds like there's some interesting stuff on the horizon, but right now my beef is with Native Access and its denial of a NAS as a valid storage location.

I understand that some people had problems with using a NAS in NA1, but that's not necessary a good reason to block it in future versions of Native Access. Users like myself who did have luck getting a NAS to work are effectively blocked from upgrading because NA2 won't register the NAS as the install location for libraries, old or new.

It would be really nice to see this rectified. Otherwise, I might be done with NI, not out of spite but simply because I can't make it work in my set up.

• TAMPT7264
    TAMPT7264 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My question is what's up with maschine Mk3 and Kontrol Mk3...I miss using maschine integration komplete Kontrol

• Simon_NI
    Simon_NI Product Team Posts: 13 Product Team
    edited March 19
    Options

@BIF First, thanks for saying thanks to those folks who're active in this community -- I'm asking my team to lean into being present here -- and they are -- shoutouts to @Matt_NI @Kai_NI @Friedemann_NI @Chris_NI @MichaelK_NI among others.

I only joined a year ago, so I can't speak to some of the decisions made in the past.

But I also can't promise that we won't have to drop support for old hardware as we move forward. And we can't support all legacy products and apps forever -- the maintenance cost rises exponentially, not linearly, over time.

But what I can say is that when we do have to make changes like this, the community deserves clearer and more transparent communication than perhaps we have achieved in the past. A good example of us trying to improve here is how we communicated the news that had decided to drop support for Kontrol Mk1 in Komplete Kontrol v3. While some folks are understandably disappointed by this, we did try to be clear, transparent and up-front about what was happening and why. And the Mk1 will continue to work with the last version of KK (v2.9) which will work on most OS's for a while yet, and it'll will work as a vanilla MIDI controller indefinitely as this doesn't require any special desktop software.

A company that's been around for 26 years is going is going to have some products that have reached the limit of our ability to economically maintain them and have been deprecated or sunset. But as I mention in the above post, we actively maintain over 500 software products -- which is pretty extensive as it is -- and a non-trivial amount of our energy goes towards keeping this broad catalog up to date.

• Simon_NI
    Simon_NI Product Team Posts: 13 Product Team
    edited March 19
    Options

Hey @LostInFoundation:

Please take in serious consideration what expressed by @mykejb about providing direct access to previous versions installers (as it was before on NI website). This would solve many issues.

This is a legit point. I can follow up with our teams as to if we can make it easier to access old / no longer supported software -- @mykejb and you are right that hosting them on G Drive isn't super slick. You can get access to old installers etc often via our customer support teams, but it would indeed be better for everyone if customers didn't have to contact them. If we used to do this and stopped, I'd like to understand why as I think this was a change before my time.

And about the “teams being on the good road with the right priorities”…sometimes asking the final users if this is really the case could be the best way to be sure of it.

We do speak to a range of customers as part of our development cycle -- that's a critical part of how we build things -- but our customer base is broad and large, and we can't make everyone happy all of the time. What one cohort of customers might want/expect/need is often very different to what another group want/expect/need. For example, the lack of Machine integration in the Kontrol Mk3 at launch was a known issue -- but we made an informed decision to launch without it, knowing we can and will add it later. We did extensive user testing where people loved the keybed, screen, and poly-at features and decided to launch with those as the core features as they benefit the most customers.

...or updating libraries requirements hoping people will buy the requested newer versions of softwares without providing an easy way to keep the own products working.

I want to address this head on. We are not updating libraries to try and drive sales of the latest version of Kontakt -- that is 100% not our intent.

What's happening here is that our instrument builder teams are updating many older Kontakt instruments such that they're NKS2 and/or polyphonic aftertouch compatible so they work with the Kontrol Mk3. This has the inevitable consequence of increasing the minimum-supported version of Kontakt that these updated instruments will run in. Now, this is, I will admit, resulting in a poor user experience right now: people are clicking "update" on their libraries and then later find out the updated library no longer runs in their installed version of Kontakt.

While all the update libraries will run in the free Kontakt 7 player which can be installed alongside Konkakt 6 so no one is forced to pay to upgrade, I want to recognise that we know it's a poor user experience -- and one resulting from us not anticipating the friction that updating these older libraries would create.

Fixing this isn't super-easy it requires some pretty fundamental changes to how we handle version dependencies between Kontakt the app and Kontakt instruments. This is on the team's radar. This has actually been an issue for along time, it's just that it used to be very RARE that we went back and updated old Kontakt instruments -- it's the advent of NKS2 and PolyAT that is raising the visibility of this issue. We are looking at if there are simpler ways to make it less likely that people accidentally get into this state.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,630 Expert
    edited March 19
    Options

And finally, a big gripe of the power-user community: Don't remove power user features! The latest example happened with Komplete Kontrol/Kontakt and the ability for power users to work up and maintain presets and banks for community sharing. @JesterMgee can add much more detail to this and other issues than I can. Jester is one of those power users who has generously donated his time and labor to the community over many years, but now with the latest versions of NI apps and instruments, he and his collaborators have suffered major setbacks. This should never happen in a healthy and robust vendor/customer relationship. Power user features, even if they were created by accident, should never just be removed under the excuse that we're cleaning up the back-end code, or we're using new tools now and it was easier to remove this old code than it would have been to keep it.

Well, the gripe from me is not specifically just about the loss of features, but the fact myself and many others have invested a LOT of time over the last decade offering feedback, suggestions, bug reports in a hope it will improve the software and then V3 rolls out and improves upon almost nothing anyone suggested, then also takes away several features and screws up the perfectly fine browser and carries over the same bugs we have waited years to have fixed. So more a case of why bother. I use to be rather active on the forums and in the Betas but i'm tired of waiting for improvements and throwing my own time into something I care less and less about every passing day. I stick with 2.9 for what I do and just have no interest in the future of v3 anymore.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,037 Guru
    Options

@JesterMgee

"So more a case of why bother. I stick with 2.9 for what I do and just have no interest in the future of v3 anymore."

+1 and a good takeaway for @Simon_NI

I too was hoping for the next "chapter" of the Komplete Kontrol framework - even tho I am happy with my MKII.

The KK 3 rollout - while "functional" for first time MKIII owners - is a shadow of its former self when compared with KK 2.9.6 I too am happy to stay right there as well.

VP

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,246 mod
    edited March 19
    Options

Talking about updates to libraries breaking things, there was a bug in an update to the East Asia library for Kontakt where some patches were missing in Maschine/KK. From tagging @Jeremy_NI with the fault at 8:30 to having a fix rolled out by @Nicki_NI at 12:30 was pretty impressive, so there's definitely a good team there!

I think there probably needs to be more risk analysis done before rolling out some updates. The updates for Kontakt libraries are a perfect example. I've lost count of the number of times I've done a copy/paste of the thread containing links to old versions of libraries. Similarly for the update to KK3 that removed VST2 support. Yes it was in the release notes, but not everyone reads them all. Maybe a warning symbol next to items that have breaking changes would help?

Edit - one thought here - can Native Access do a selective roll-out? For example, roll out changes to a group of people who've agreed to do some basic installation and tests a few days before the general public release?

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Options

As said, a first step could be as simple as providing access to previous versions.

And…the last 2 comments from Jester and Vocalpoint should show you exactly what I was trying to say: build to increase your users base with new users attracted by the new functionalities, but don’t forget that deluding existing ones will make that same users base decrease 😉

• Warempel
    Warempel Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 20
    Options

@Simon_NI Thank you for this extensive update. As someone who plays (on keyboard), composes and records (real instruments and vocals) music using Maschine and NI plug-ins I remain however unconvinced.

The removal of Maschine functionality from the Mk3 keyboards was a watershed moment for me. I had planned to purchase a Maschine+ but I prefer to spend my money on gear where the vendor remains committed to its products by investing in maintenance (to make sure it keeps running on current platforms) and improvements to keep up with the competition. NI struggles to do the first (Maschine is still not on Sonoma) and has abandoned the second for a few years now.

I don’t know whether this is because of lack of (human and financial) resources or because of poor strategic choices. I hope NI gets out of this rut and can recover its lost ground.

In the meantime, my work will move to another platform.

Good luck. Sincerely.

• von Bordwehr
    von Bordwehr Member Posts: 104 Advisor
    Options

Two questions regarding Traktor.

Does "improvements that bring … a clean, modern interface" mean a high-resolution interface?

And will the flickering browser issue also dealt with?

• OliverGross
    OliverGross Member Posts: 39 Helper
    Options

Hello @Simon_NI

First of all, thank you very much for your insights regarding Traktor.

I really appreciate your commitment and I'm really happy to hear that we can expect a significant update for Traktor this year.

I just have one question for you and maybe you can give us some information on this.

You wrote "And refreshing the interface in an old code base is hard - but re-writing everything from scratch take too long"

I'm a little surprised, about six years ago when Traktor Pro3 was released, there was an announcement that another dev team was working in parallel on a new codebase for Traktor. As a result, there were also the first versions of Traktor DJ2, which were very promising.

Is this now obsolete and have you decided to focus more on refactoring the old code? I understand, of course, that there may have been changes in the objectives in recent years, I would just be interested to know what development strategy we can now assume.

Many thanks Simon to you and the whole NI team.

• von Bordwehr
    von Bordwehr Member Posts: 104 Advisor
    edited March 20
    Options

about six years ago when Traktor Pro3 was released, there was an announcement that another dev team was working in parallel on a new codebase for Traktor. 

I'm curious about this too.

This discussion has been closed.