CPU spiking with iZotope Neutron 4 and Ozone

Options
2»

Answers

• Xavioch
    Xavioch Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm having the same problems as Patrick with iZotope Elements (Ozone + RX).

I have a laptop running Windows 11, intel i7 processor, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD.

I use Reaper as my DAW and my midi interface is a Komplete Audio 6 with ASIO driver.

As soon as I add more than 1 FX Izotope to a vocal track, Reaper starts to slow down in jerks with noises and crackles. I use NI virtual instruments as well with Kontakt 7 (Glaze or others instruments).

With Reaper, my buffer size = 512 and 44.1 Khz.

On the Reaper forum, other users of Izotope effects complain of the same slowness. Reaper recommends writing to NI to address this issue.

What are NI's recommendations for configuring a PC to run well under Reaper with Kontakt 7 and Izotope (what type of processor and what minimum frequency, as well as RAM or graphics card configuration)?

Regards

Xavier

• Patrick60
    Patrick60 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I use ASIO

buffer on 1024

screen on 60 hz

I've tried to replace NEUTRON by just a compressor (VC2A), and for the master I've kept Ozone and Youlean.

And I still have CPUs in the red

I have to take off almost all my effects

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,391 mod
    Options

maybe what you need to do, is to try exactly the opposite (which is using smaller buffers), at least according to iZotope, on this article:

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/6658119858065-Reducing-Ozone-s-latency-and-CPU-usage

also try to do the suggestions described in this article:

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/10-tips-for-winning-the-battle-against-cpu-overload.html

other than that, i can not tell you much... i have a, more or less, similar system which is working perfectly at 128 samples buffer size.

apart from that, the only thing you can do is follow some generic (but really fundamental) instructions for lowering your CPU usage, such as:

1. Identify the process that's causing high CPU usage (use task manager to check this!), it might not be an audio process after all
    2. Eliminate unnecessary background applications and services
    3. Check for other outdated drivers and software (especially drivers!)
    4. Reset power settings and always use "High Performance" plan
    5. Disable P2P sharing, Cloud services sync and, in general, avoid to use network apps while making music
    6. Disable Cortana and other Microsoft apps who are running constantly in the background.

NOTE: Also consider that most iZotope plugins are meant for post-production (mastering etc) so, using them on simple every-day jobs is not really wise, especially since your system obviously can't handle them. If for example you only need to lower frequencies around 15Khz by 3dB, in your hi-hat channel, the basic Ableton EQ can do the job just fine! ;-)

• Patrick60
    Options

thnak you very much for these informations.

I'll try next week end and come back to you.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,038 Guru
    Options

"Also consider that most iZotope plugins are meant for post-production (mastering etc) so, using them on simple every-day jobs is not really wise, especially since your system obviously can't handle them"

This is the best advice in here. I see lots of users thinking they are just going to slap Ozone on the master bus (or worse - as a track insert) on a typical project and cruise along unscathed in the CPU department.

Neutron and especially Ozone can be VERY CPU intensive and unfortunately - you could have a top of the line i9 in your machine and it will not matter. You simply cannot use too many of these in real time without taking a hit.

And the OP mentions an 'i7" yet there are literally tens to hundreds of i7 variants out there. Example: I have an i7 here from 2012 and it is definitely not up to running Ozone in any way. Would be nice to know exactly which CPU is in play.

VP

• Patrick60
    Options

My i7 from 2018 or 2019.

Sorry, I don't understand (I'm not a sound engineer, just a beginner self producer)

In first I do the balance and the spatialization, with cursors of the mixing table.

After, I use Neutron for some tracks, and Ozone for the mastering.

After I use Youlean to adjust the true peaks and the LUFS.

In finally, I export in wav.

How I can do the whole process, if I don't use Ozone, or Neutron ?

Thanks

• Sunborn
    edited March 20
    Options

Woooooow this is really heavy!!! Only a top-class Pro studio can handle all those at the same time!

My advice, never do mastering on the same time as you producing! Mastering is done later, on the exported .wav, either through Ableton or other DAW (but this should be a separate process, where the only thing in your DAW will be the exported .wav and nothing else), either on a dedicated audio editor (SoundForge, Wavelab etc.).

In fact, it is much better if you not put anything at all on the master output channel, or perhaps a limiter if necessary. For a good mastering, the exported .wav must be as "clean" as possible and since we are talking about mastering, it is an extremely demanding work which requires a deep knowledge about audio and it is best to leave to the professionals.

I already had an almost 20 years of experience before i dared to make my first own mastering. And of course it is obvious that, using few random presets that might make your song to sound "nice" or "loud" is not considering as mastering, not by a long shot.

"How I can do the whole process, if I don't use Ozone, or Neutron?"

By using Ableton internal plugins or other, much less demanding 3rd party plugins, and maybe 1-2 instances of Neutron or Ozone... :-)

...and also keep in mind that dynamic plugins are far more CPU demanding than standard plugins, so, for example, use a standard EQ and not a Dynamic EQ.

Helpful note: Consider limitations not as an obstacle but as a chance to explore and experiment with what we have and what we can handle... you will gain a lot of precious knowledge! Easiness is good, but it rarely gives real knowledge. 🙏

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,038 Guru
    edited March 20
    Options

If your i7 is from 2018 - that is not optimal for Ozone etc here in 2024.

Usable - yes - but certainly not equal to a 2024 i7.

In terms of workflow - if I was using a 2018 i7 and needed to complete my work (efficiently and with ample CPU) it would always be in two stages.

Tracking/mixing would be my first pass - record my instruments, mix (yes even using Neutron as needed) and if the CPU got too hot - I might actually render individual tracks to WAV (to release the FX and CPu burden) AND then mix the whole thing to create my final WAV.

Then I would take that final WAV and master it as a separate task - using Ozone on it own.

Ozone has never been designed to be used with an actual session - yes - you can certainly try to jam it in there - but you already know what happens on your machine.

You simply do not have the horsepower to do this all in one go and need to optimize the CPU power that you do have - in the right way.

This is not necessarily the fault of Ozone - you are simply trying to do too much in one pass.

Hope this helps.

VP

• Patrick60
    Options

Thank you very much.

Your feed back is precious.

I've learned many things importants.

Of course to work with a professionnal is the best way. But, I don't have enough money, and I'm too old to start a career. I just do it for the pleasure of making and sharing.

Of course, if I can win "3 francs, 6 sous" as we said long time ago, I can improve my equipment, and that would be great.

Best regard

Patrick

• Sunborn
    Options

"I just do it for the pleasure of making and sharing"

So, in this case, you really don't need any kind of professional. Only an artist who wants to release his music needs that.

So, just make your own experiments and be happy. And be sure that, over the years you will learn a lot and at some point, you will reach a semi-professional level of experience anyway. Good luck!