KONTROL S MK3 Ableton Live Play Button Behaviour

Options
DynaMaltee
DynaMaltee Member Posts: 11 Member

I'm not sure if this has to be addressed to Ableton or NI, so I have posted it in both forums.

First of all the Kontrol MK3 works great in Ableton, just plug and play. But the behaviour of the PLAY button is not right i.m.o.

Why doesn't it behave just same like Ableton Push 2 or NI Komplete Kontrol S MK2?

• Currently:PLAY starts playback and stops playback. Hitting Play again continues playback at current playhead position. Regardsless how playback was stopped.
  • Even if I place the playhead with the mouse somewhere in the song, PLAY does not start from there. But instead from the position is was stopped. This is i.m.o. so counter-intuitive.
  • PLAY and STOP currently have exactly the same stopping behaviour. STOP function is not required because PLAY does the same.

• What it should do: PLAY starts playback. Retriggering should restart playback from last start position. (like NI KK S MK2 or PUSH 2)
  • If playhead has been placed with the mouse, hitting PLAY must start playback from there.
  • If playback has been stopped with STOP button, PLAY can continue playback from current playhead position.

In my workflow I need fast retriggering playback from same position very often. And currently I have to long for SHIFT+PLAY to do so on the KONTROL S MK3 or use SPACE bar...

I guess how playhead behaves normally should be defined in the DAW's settings. But as far as I know - unlike other DAWs - Ableton does not have preferences for the playhead behaviour.

What do you think about this...?