Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Comments

• Beatsandmore
    Beatsandmore Member Posts: 83 Helper

Well at least my mk3 is in the keyboard tray and don't have to see it until they get it right until then I use my trusty arturia keylab pro keyboard.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 147 Advisor
    edited July 24

I would take the opportunity to try something else. I was deeply upset after buying the S61 MK3 at launch because of the removal of midi templates and lack of disclosure by NI in their advertisements. I also felt the removal of Maschine controls made it lesser than the MK2. I still believe it was a terrible product, but it turned out to be a blessing given the disasterous issues with Native Access that happened this year. I had already stopped using the MK3 and pretty much fully transitioned away from NI plug-ins. My setup is a lot more stable now, and I rarely have to go through all the update maintenance and downtime that NI software had become. There are a lot of great alternatives out there. I can’t say I will even download the midi template update at this point because it’s been so long at this point, and I expect there will be some hassle with it; bugs; or standard fare terrible design choices that NI has become infamous for.

• Skijumptoes
    Skijumptoes Member Posts: 58 Helper

Love my S88 Mk3, plays great, integrates with Kontakt - moving from a S49 Mk2 i've been super impressed.

However, the wait for on-board elements like the play assist and templates is ridiculously slow, it's not a good look when you read the plan on this thread, and decide to buy on that presentation, in truth it's already fallen short.

We should be at the point where other third parties are utilising direct connection as Kontakt uses. But instead we're still waiting for the core functionality to come online.

However, for me, my reaction isn't as harsh as a lot of you other people. I think it's a great controller and very happy with it, but I was aware of the 'current' shortcomings when buying mine.

• Beatsandmore

Great design it is but what I purchased it for and like others do not warrant $900 price tag..

Seeing that NI are missing there deadlines on release candidates means there are unforseen bugs or what being proposed functions are not working.. either way product looks good and yes it works with kontakt but that's it..

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 945 Guru

…compared with eternity, April to July is not such a long time…

You're right, it's not at all a long time. And yet he STILL is convinced it will never happen. This is precisely why I say that humans are not made to wait. No matter how sensible you are, no matter how well you explain it, THEY. DON'T. WANT. TO. WAIT.

And for this reason, NI needs to make a commitment to never let this happen again with another FUBAR'd release like KK MK3 was last October/November/wheneveritwas.

• BIF

Your full and complete list will NEVER be completed in just 2 weeks, 2 months, and maybe not even in 2 years, what with all the on-board MK3 features NI needs to get started on.

This may be painful to hear, but I think the best we can hope for is that a few of your items will be addressed, along with some new stuff.

• BIF
    edited July 24

You're right about that. Remember, the MIDI Template dev team has members that were pulled in from other teams. Those team members would likely be released back to their original teams, which will reduce the workforce for Komplete development.

Furthermore, the month of August is fast approaching. So if "The New NI" has a lot of team members from Europe, they may be taking most or all of August off work, which will push more work onto the US-based team members. Also, there's the Olympics happening in August, so pretty much anybody who's into sports could end up being less "plugged in to work" during that month.

And then it will be no time and we'll be seeing the US Labor Day holiday weekend, followed by back-to-school in US, and then in just a couple of short months by the US Thanksgiving holiday and Christmas for the whole world.

My point is that there's going to be tons of things happening for the rest of this year that will provide some level of distractions for people. And yes, to your point, we really CAN'T be adding in too much more workload for the remainder of 2024. Not without bigger teams, or more teams. And I doubt any company is increasing its workforce.

As for me, I'm just doing other stuff while we all wait. I've been considering getting another MIDI keyboard controller, such as the Novation SL MK3. But the real problem is that almost everything available for sale is a model that came out back in 2015 or earlier. It's slim pickin's for new technologies. Except maybe for Komplete Kontrol MK3. Go figure.

• Beatsandmore

So just like JesterMgee stated we will get midi templates only and I will add it won't work as expected also 😆

• Skijumptoes
    Skijumptoes Member Posts: 58 Helper
    edited July 24

I was weighing up buying a Roland Fantom-8 or going 'in the box' with the S88 Mk3. At a third of the cost, and combined with Komplete it does a hell of a lot already. Plus it's a hell of a space saver, even the 88 key version as it's not overly deep.

MIDI Templates not an issue for me as i'm able to use the deeper integration with my DAW and prefer parameter displays on the screen than going back to general MIDI. It knocks the socks off most competiting controllers now that it interacts direct with Kontakt plus the light guide support for mapped articulations etc.

Any external instrument control I route through the DAW too, so get pages of automation parameters on-screen via Cubase or Reaper, able to control third party instruments or effects direct.

I appreciate that not everyone is tech savvy enough to take that route though, and for those that want general MIDI CC support it's been a long wait.

However, it's easy to just focus on what it doesn't do and forget the many plus points it has, and what a great future is ahead of these devices too. The scope is massive 'if' they can get things into gear and third parties, or MIDI 2.0 being the driver.

This discussion has been closed.