Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Options

Comments

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 418 Guru
    Options

I'd like this as much as proper database implementation (Spitfire Audio displaying all libraries, not just Kontakt as an example), but I doubt it will all come at once.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 530 Pro
    Options

I suspect that's going to come one at a time as the individual vendors incorporate those new structures into their VST's.

• SuperTRev
    SuperTRev Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Ok, well at least it's on the way.

I discovered Image Line's NI keyboard integration and it's not only horrible but broken. I told them about it and I'm going to get ignored of course, just like they disregarded when I told them how they should do it.

So when NI finishes this MIDI editor, I will run the keyboard's MIDI mode through Bome's MTP, as I did with my Mk2. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Especially in this age of overly paid, low IQ computer programmers.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 418 Guru
    Options

It's not a vendor issue - it's a database issue on NIs side. If it wasn't, Maschine would have the same problem.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,864 mod
    edited May 5
    Options

I hope it will come with property editing as the properties editor does have a sub bank field but at the moment the whole properties editor is non functional (except for tagging). Also it does look like the MkIII has the capability to display sub banks as the field is there in the GUI on the keyboard screen and does work with Reaktor ensembles but just nothing else. So this is not something that has completely been taken away by design, except in the sense of not being prioritised for the initial release, as the underlying elements are all there waiting be reactivated.

• RJH_MUSIC
    RJH_MUSIC Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

For many years now I have enjoyed the quality of the hardware that Native Instruments cranks out. The Kontrol S series and the Machine + are perfect examples of the dedication to excellence. One interesting note however, unless i am not doing something right - If you have 2 Kontrol S series operating in the same envoirnment, (S-61 MrK II and S-88 Mrk II), only 1 can display mixer settings and use the transport functions. It is with that that I have made this suggestion on a few occassions - "Please, Please, Please, make a 76 note version of the Kontrol S-series - Kontrol S-76 Mrk III with the same keyboard bed included on the S-61. This would be a home run for musicians that feel that the S-61 does not have enough keys and the S-88 is too big to be portable. "I promise…. I will be the first to buy one if it is introduced"

RJH_MUSIC

• Duffcat
    Duffcat Member Posts: 35 Helper
    Options

@Matthew_NI Please update us with latest. April is gone and NI has gone quiet. Obviously things are not on track. This is baffling.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

@Duffcat I had posted elsewhere - we paused Accessibility to focus fully on MIDI Templates, so that we could get it out ASAP. It's pretty much the one team's only focus in May and would hopefully land in beta in that time also.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

It is not broken - it works very well. Perhaps it has been set up incorrectly?

• Prokat99
    Prokat99 Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I'm definitely disappointed that basic MIDI templates/editing is taken so long but I made the plunge knowing it wasn't ready so I will deal with it.

However, I heard a phrase recently that I had not heard before and it basically sums up where end-users are with virtually all music software/hardware these days (and I'm sure other areas of tech);

Promise-ware

I've been a long time user of hardware synths and I've realized I've been indoctrinated into this mentality without even realizing it. It seemed to start off as a good thing (in my experience) from using Elektron gear. They would release a exciting synth with a few bugs…we'd wait for them to get fixed, and most would (some never did… boo hoo) but then, all of a sudden, BAM! A whole bunch of new stuff in a firmware update. Wow!

Fast forward to today and I have a couple pieces of gear that I bought after several months of it being available and many basic features are still completely absent. But the "promise" of these formally standard features are "in the works".

I feel like hearing the word "promiseware" really slapped me in the face. This whole experience will be a reminder to myself not to buy something that is clearly still in beta.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,103 Guru
    edited May 6
    Options

@Prokat99

"I feel like hearing the word "promiseware" really slapped me in the face. This whole experience will be a reminder to myself not to buy something that is clearly still in beta".

Anyone who steps in the ring within 2 years of a new "hardware" product launch - is always going to be challenged with this.

My hardware policy is always to "really" wait it out (2 years+) , keep tabs on the situation and use what you have (in my case - my very mature S61 MKII) in the meantime.

In this case - it is clear that it will easily take two years (but probably more) before NI fully realizes the capabilities of the MKIII (planned or promised), codes them up, battle tests them and then finally puts them out there for the masses.

VP

• laserbeak
    laserbeak Member Posts: 149 Helper
    Options

I'm using DAW controls in FL right now.

What's not working for you?

• fafax
    fafax Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hello, when ends the beta testing of KK and use the editor with my S88? Is there any way to try the beta version? Thank you

• Duffcat
    Duffcat Member Posts: 35 Helper
    Options

Would it be too crazy to propose a GitHub dedicated to writing code for Kontrol MK3. I bet we could get to all the features we want a lot quicker with an open source community.