Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Options

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,295 Guru
    Options

You providing a dedicated thread to KK3 vs KK2 feature alignment and such, will be helpful for many as they shift projects & workflow.

We all have schedules to try and maintain, and this info can shape plans more efficiently.

• MuskyBanana
    MuskyBanana Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thanks for the update Matthew...answered a lot of questions I had about upcoming functionality and features. Appreciate the communication.

• epiphaneia
    epiphaneia Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

@Matthew_NI

>Team working on the on-device softwareThis includes Kontrol S MK3 and Maschine+.

Nice! Does that imply that Maschine+ is going to be supported for the foreseeable future and may even see an extra feature or two (while quite a few people fear it´s going to be retired some day soon)? Would you be allowed to comment on this?

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 617 Pro
    Options

@Matthew_NI

All I want. Seriously, ALL I want is this:

1. More things in each new release of KK. Or a little bit faster cadence of frequency for KK releases. Preferably both, but I'll take whatever y'all are giving. Here's why: Monthly releases that only do or fix one thing...that's too slow of a pace if NI really wants to move the needle of user perception on a widespread basis. I know all about controlling how much to include in any given update. But I suggest that the current pace may be too slow. Changing public perception is probably more important than anything else at this point.
    2. Please give me FIVE very good reasons to buy a second MK3...either a 61-key or 88-key unit. I mean five very good reasons that don't yet exist. I don't mean you need to TELL me the reasons. Move the needle on #1 above to the point where the reasons become self-apparent, and that will make this item a success.
    3. The next Maschine...before I decide to buy an APC or a Push 3. I'm waiting for MK4, and I want the Studio form-factor to be available again. I don't really care all that much about having a built-in audio interface.
  • Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,032 Guru
    edited March 5
    Options

@BIF

"Changing public perception is probably more important than anything else at this point."

Nailed it. Nothing is more crucial than this right now.

Every board I visit - the general vibe is the same. KKv3 has (by design) become a distant second to its older sibling and with each passing month - becomes more and more like background noise.

There is no excitement, no wanting to add the "new" and "ditch" the old - like we do with every other truly worthwhile upgrade.

Without truly killer software - that REALLY moves the bar so far beyond KK v2.9.6 - this MK III rollout will never gain real traction.

And unlike you @BIF - I should not need 5 very good reasons to upgrade. What I should be feeling is - if I am NOT on a MK III board right now (with KKv3) - I am totally missing out on something awesome.

But right now - the only things I am missing out on - is the agony (of using KKv3) and the cost (of buying a new S61 MKIII)

I can live with both of these.

VP

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,295 Guru
    edited March 6
    Options

@Vocalpoint said: "What I should be feeling is - if I am NOT on a MK III board right now (with KKv3) - I am totally missing out on something awesome."

Two upcoming things that will get lots of fence-sitters feeling they are missing out are:

1) Deeper DAW integration that controls stock VI and FX

2) More expressive performance possibilities like the afore mentioned touch-strip physics models (Standard/Spring/Bouncing Ball/Tempo/Stepped, with adjustable Friction, Gravity, Walls, Strength, and so on). Mating such performance control to physically-modeled instruments would be super fun.

Accelerate bringing these things out and get the buzz going!

Go public with early beta demonstrations.. do NOT hold back on sneak peeks!

Heck, Nektar was showing their new Panorama C12 at LAST year's NAMM!

• ini4
    ini4 Member Posts: 24 Helper
    Options

@Matthew_NI Thank you for the update. I love the peek into the roadmap. I am looking forward to the drag and drop feature since I use this for dragging samples into Battery. It would be nice if a selected sample would load into your selected cell when Battery is hosted in KK, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks.

• ini4
    ini4 Member Posts: 24 Helper
    Options

It would also be cool if pressing the DAW button would toggle between Mute, Solo, and Track Select modes.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 73 Helper
    Options

Two years passed between the release of the MK1 & MK2, and 7 years between MK2 & MK3. If we average those out, we can reasonably expect the MK4 in 3.5 years. This means the MK3 will have been available for 9 months before basic MIDI templates are introduced…and that is assuming NI hits their already delayed Q2 target. This is more than 20% of the keyboard’s life cycle. It’s difficult to trust any of the above will actual be followed through. MIDI templates are such a basic feature the omission has really soured me to celebrating updates like this from NI.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 73 Helper
    Options

I don’t understand why so many of my fellow users expect some great next-gen Maschine. The Kontrol MK3 shipped without many basic features such as MIDI templates and Maschine integration. Maschine Plus has also been left to die on the vine, so to speak. I think it is very clear NI will only be releasing either the mandatory bug fixes/OS patches or things that are relatively low effort. I mean, they missed most of the Q1 deadlines….NI said on MIDI templates was just about to enter beta, but now it’s not even expected to get there until April..with no mention of how long beta would actually take. An optimistic May/June release would be 8-9 months post launch. Imo this slow pace is not due to a focus on some mind blowing new product. I do hope to be wrong of course, but this seems like a spiral. Competitor products have already far surpassed Maschine MK3, so I think NI may have it’s work cut out to even catch-up at this point.

• bzone
    bzone Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Fix the problems, admit the release was not ready. I think talking points and promises are a waste of time. Make it work and function. That is your job as a company. You have wasted a lot of people’s time with your incompetence. There are no excuses, fix it .

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 894 mod
    Options

@bzone @MorrisEd I understand that you're frustrated. If you have any input on the roadmap itself, feel free to add as much. If you've nothing to add, you're also welcome to leave and let others discuss the topics more constructively.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 894 mod
    Options

This is one of the smaller issues we have tracked on our backlog (better track select with the DAW button and a modifier key)