In FM8 is it possible to use the MIDI Learn function for 'Program Change'?

Options
jblad
jblad Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi all

I suspect I'm doing something wrong here, but am not sure what.

The goal is to use an assignable button on my keyboard to move through the list of patches/presets in FM8.

The MIDI Learn function works fine for things like mapping 'Arpeggiator On' (CC97) to a button on my Behringer UMX61 keyboard.

But I seem to be unable to MIDI Learn for using the preset change up or down arrows. The MIDI Learn button is lit, and stays lit after pushing a button on the keyboard.

Is it possible to map program change up or down via MIDI Learn and a CC message, or is there no such CC message for this function?

Thanks guys!

Justin

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jblad It's not possible to MIDI learn program changes. Program Changes actually do not need to be MIDI learned, it should receive the program changes by default.

I don't know about the UMX 61 but for some MIDI controllers it is possible to assign one control to program changes. I'll use the M32 as an example:

To set up the Program Changes on FM8, you might find this article useful: How to Switch Plug-in Presets via MIDI Program Change

Although FM8 is a little bit different, you need to drag and drop the presets to the program change number you would like.

I hope that helps!

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jblad It's not possible to MIDI learn program changes. Program Changes actually do not need to be MIDI learned, it should receive the program changes by default.

I don't know about the UMX 61 but for some MIDI controllers it is possible to assign one control to program changes. I'll use the M32 as an example:

To set up the Program Changes on FM8, you might find this article useful: How to Switch Plug-in Presets via MIDI Program Change

Although FM8 is a little bit different, you need to drag and drop the presets to the program change number you would like.

I hope that helps!

• jblad
    jblad Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks so much Jeremy, great explanation and the linked article is very useful. I can see now that in MIDI-land, program changes aren't really like straightforward, easily mappable things like panning, or chorus. Thanks again for the reply!

Justin