Noise gate effect necessary for DAW auto-bypass on silence (CPU reduction)

Options
AtomOfScent
AtomOfScent Member Posts: 3 Member
edited February 26 in Kontakt

Unless I'm missing something, it's quite strange that a plugin old enough to drink anywhere in the world doesn't include a simple noise gate among its list of 92 effect modules. 😏

Aside from being important for all the standard reasons, it's crucial for CPU savings in DAWs like Reaper that automatically bypass plugins with no output (below silence threshold) to save CPU.

If effects are going to output noise with no input (Replika, Reverb, etc.) there really needs to be a gate to silence it. Since added noise is cumulative for each effect and instrument in a multi, it's easy for the SNR to end up in the 12-15-bit range.

Guitar Rig has an input gate, a noise gate effect, a noise reduction effect, and also includes Solid Dynamics which has a gate. Kontakt has none of these despite costing more and being the "industry standard" for users and developers alike.

Please consider one of these the next time you're porting an effect into Kontakt. πŸ™

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru
    Options

Hmm...in my opinion, noise gate is indeed useful, however, when you have a project that constantly has pauses, especially when you use a headphone, the project kinda sounds empty and on a newbie level.

Not even Fade In's and Fade out's can help with that.

So i started to use Noise Machine to add just a subtle noise to give the subliminal hook for the mix.

Just my opinion.

What do you think of it?

• TORLEY
    TORLEY Member Posts: 88 Helper
    Options

What's even odder is Guitar Rig 7 Pro DOES have a Noise Gate β€” see PAGE 139 β€” AND an overall gate, so maybe this can be ported to Kontakt? I'm assuming there's common code.