Spam warning for everyone!

Options

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,863 mod
    Options

No one needs to be able to post at a rate of 1 post/discussion per 45 seconds. At least make that impossible for new users and also that they need a honeymoon period where their posts are approved by mods before they can post freely.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,410 mod
    Options

It was to be expected that this would happen sooner or later. The only proven way to avoid it, is to have all posts checked before being published, and this is one of the main works of a moderator. Not for everyone, but for the new members only and for a short time, until it is proven that they are really interested in the forum. For the first 10 posts maybe, and then everyone gets free access, once it has been proven that they are to be trusted.

I suggested it to the admins but they thought it was too much and that it might alienate the new members. However, due to long experience on the subject, I insist that this is the best way to deal with this situation. A situation that will grow more and more unless addressed immediately.

The other way, is to have 20-25 moderators, around the clock, in a way that at least 5 of them will be present around at any time, so they can act immediately. There is no third way. What we saw today might looks funny, in a way, but the truth is that it is a very ugly image for the forum's prestige, and should be avoided at all costs.

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,971 Guru
    Options

Besides, if any new people who got interested with NI come here, they will eventually build up a negative reputation of this Community site because of 'ignoring the comments'.

It is the equivalent of ignoring tumor.

Just my point of view.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

@Uwe303 theeeeey're baaaaaack

@Jeremy_NI How soon can we get email address validation and captcha checks for new users?

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,161 mod
    Options

And again all banned, omg they are really fast, while banning even lots of new spam posts came in.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 247 Advisor
    Options

Well when I came in here last night - what an eyesore! page after page after page, in the end I just punched in 100 and found some semblance of normalcy. I worked my way back to 92 pages - that is, from the "recent posts"

WOW something wierd is going on here I went to check on something and could barely get back to this thread. Is there a Distributed Denial of Service Attack going on or something? I've been on the internet for many years and Ive NEVER seen anything as hideous as this.

• Jojo123
    Options

Definitely need something put in place like putting limits on new users such as has been suggested. Thats a small price to pay rather than doing nothing and ending up with this.

• Jojo123
    Options

Guys, Ive had 2 tabs up for this forum, and if I click on the other tab, the page just goes haywire for a while (about a minute)...just flashing blank pages back and forth and while this happens can't select the other tab.

• Kymeia
    edited February 5
    Options

I see they are back - this forum is just not secure. Please add:

Honeymoon period for new members - vetting of first 10 posts, no ability to post images or urls

Automatic temp suspension of members with more than 2 spam warnings until investigation

Automatic temp suspension of posters who suddenly start mass posting at fast rate until investigation

Email based signup confirmation

Make ignore hide posts

• Sunborn
    Options

that is not a full scale solution, its a good start though... you know, spammers can also create dozens of valid e-mail addresses

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,971 Guru
    Options

I got the message from someone...

It is suspicous...

• Kymeia
    Options

So are we going to see another night of the spam or have some improvements been made to the forum's defences?

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,118 admin
    Options

Hey everyone,

I have been in touch with our web team to see if they can help with this issue. They are working on solutions already but it doesn't seem like it was implemented yet.

I'm in touch with the rest of the admins and mods but for now I'm implementing some more measures to try and prevent foreign characters to be published.

• Sunborn
    Options

Any mod / admin around?

We have new Korean spam attacks!