Spam warning for everyone!

Options
Milos
Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru

Do not go to the most recent discussions on your home page of NI Community.

There are at least hundreds of Korean spam messages about some random business that doesn't even connect to the topics of music in NI forums.

Avoid them at all costs!

Here is a screenshot as a proof.

Tagged:

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,785 mod
    edited February 4
    Options

The forum is unusable with this amount of spam, this is not just spam, it is vandalism. Unfortunately this is happening at an increased rate at the moment, evidently the measures NI put in place to prevent this are not working.

Looking at the pace of messages this is obviously an automated attack. I suggest strongly that NI adopt a honeymoon period for new posters that includes not just limits on inserting urls (which is already in place) but also stops them posting multiple posts within a specific period, particularly at a fast rate one after the other. Also all new forum members should have their first couple of posts needing mod approval.

• Kymeia
    Options
  • Kymeia
    edited February 4
    Options

Looks like NI's automated spam defence has been compromised. Even an automated system should spot these sort of red flags - same word for every part of the profile, messages posted faster than 1 per minute - no legitimate poster needs to post so many posts or discussion topics at such a rate - this should not be allowed. Also new members should be required to post an introduction and fill out details of their profile, no spambot could do that

• Kymeia
    Options
  • Kymeia
    Options

This is what should happen - where is Gandalf when you need him?

• Kymeia
    Options

Spam the spammers out of existence

• Kymeia
    Options

Why are you bots still here?

• Kymeia
    edited February 4
    Options

No one can read your stupid spams anyway so what is the point?

• Milos
    Options

I mean, some Korean people who know english can...

• Kymeia
    edited February 4
    Options

I didn't mean that literally, just what's the point of spamming a predominantly English forum with posts that 'very few' who hang out here can even read, and those that can are unlikely to be stupid enough to think 'hey that's a great idea, let's click on a dubious link posted by criminals because we know we can really trust them'

It just seems like malicious vandalism more than anything to me

• Kymeia
    edited February 4
    Options

Another thing the forum could implement is an automatic suspension of posting rights if a post gets more than say 2 spam flags (pending investigation) - if it isn't spam then posting can resume but at least this would prevent the current situation where spambots can continue to amass hundreds of posts with 11 spam flags and clearly mods are not around at the moment so this sort of thing should be automated

• Kymeia
    Options

Also the ignore function doesn't seem to work, I tried ignoring one of these spammers but can still see their posts

• Milos
    Options

Yeah, same for me, but it is for other things, even email.

I went to the notification settings to uncheck any message to my email, yet I sometimes get the messages to my email from the NI Community site.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Options

Wow that was lots of spam but I've banned the two accounts that posted all that very interesting stuff just in the wrong place, by accident of course, now it should look better. But seriously - can spammers not respect my sundayy and wait for monday or whatever.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 253 Pro
    Options

Why not simply block the use of any characters that are not used in the English language? Since the forum is English only, this should not be a problem. If any post contains foreign characters it would need to be approved by a mod.