Can we please make naming from Maschine Mk3/Komplete Kontrol Mk2 hardware a thing?

2»

Answers

• minimaltom
    minimaltom Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi D-one, what's so hard about adding a scrolly keyboard graphic using the jog wheel to choose letters or something?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited August 2022

Hi. If I understood you correctly you're describing the keyboard of the M+, so technically it should not be hard at all since the code is already there, it just so happens that it checks what type of HW you have and if it's not an M+ in standalone mode then Renaming / Text Input Keyboard is disabled... Why they made such a decision is beyond me but these are the facts.

"Headless" means no computer screen and/or peripherals, so the above code means that if the device is not headless then you get no renaming. NI doesn't pick what to do based on it being hard or easy from my experience.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Ever tried to change that assignment statement to a hard coded YES?

• D-One
    edited August 2022

Yeah, kind of... that function returns either true or false so by setting it to true it forces the Rename button/label to show in the HW but it ends up doing nothing, so more editing is required but I am not sure where since I just looked out of curiosity.

Upon messing around a bit more I changed a hw button to directly open the Keyboard Menu to make sure it's even possible and it worked, so... It's feasible, here's the M+ showing it in Controller Mode (only USB):

I'll try to make it work properly again later.

• macchinista
    macchinista Member Posts: 28 Helper

@D-One keep going please!

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

So this feature is there but it is voluntarily disabled for non autonomous controllers. This is purely strategic. Be careful, maschine mk3 should not become too autonomous and step on maschine+'s toes... so pathetic

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

It does not be that reason. It may be much simpler. Make it work costs some labour, update manual costs labour, testing cost labour. Answering user´s Tickets on issues connected to that cost labour....

Managers have decided, no to save few bucks. One has to see that Apple Silicon conversions costs fortune and nobody pays for it.... Cuts must be made on all nonprofitable items...

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 123 Advisor

Aah, the Apple silicon is the one to blame. Come on. It has nothing to do with this matter.

NI had like 20 years to make it happen.

• D-One
    edited August 2022

I don't think it's a strategy to sell more M+'s or avoid product cannibalization, I doubt they put that much thought into tiny stuff like this when they got huge tasks ahead of them like Hi-Res, VST3, Apple Chips, and a bunch of other stuff that should had happen a long time ago and are now a huge problem that snowballed into an avalanche... Somehow they did find time to release a standalone tho, another huge task for the list... anyway... I digress 😂

It's prob just "do it the simple fastest way and move on, non-desktop users have their computer keyboard."; for M+ an on-screen keyboard is 100% mandatory but for desktop not really so whatever they're currently working on takes priority over thinking too much about this I guess... ?? IDK anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Well... It's a lot of thinking work for a noob like me and the community doesn't really engage much with these sorts of hacky tweaks, and neither does NI. I mostly share this stuff hoping someone with proper skills gets inspired. I don't think I'll share any more tweaks unless I find a way for users to easily apply them or a way to host a pre-modded version of MAS legally.

• ozon

There’s a huge difference between making this file naming dialog happen for a standalone device with predetermined save locations and a controller which should then interact with the computer OS file save dialog.

• D-One
    edited August 2022

OP never mentioned files tho... Renaming as a general request does not have to be specifically tied to things that need to be saved somewhere as a file (save-as), in the case of just renaming Sections, Samples, Scenes, and Patterns within the project, that's what people need most of the time.

There is indeed a bit of a difference but I am not 100% sure if that's an impediment, the scripts for standalone functionality are included in the desktop version, so everything required is probably already there, I could be wrong tho... the compiled app is prob very different and that might actually be an impediment.

• ozon

Oh, my bad. Somehow I was associating that dialog to File Save and not thinking of the other uses.

Indeed, it should work for all other renaming sitations!