How to use Maschine Mikro Mk3 Select button

Options
Gerry Carson
Gerry Carson Member Posts: 21 Member

Hi All

In the manual, it says I can select a particular sound/pad from a drum kit (e.g. the kick or the snare) and make changes to just the events for that pad (e.g. to nudge or quantise just this pad). But I haven't been able to get this working.

I have tried pressing/holding select with Pattern button lit and selecting a pad or with Pad Mode lit and selecting a pad, but neither works. The software highlights the row but doesn't select the events. If I try and nudge, it nudges the complete pattern not the single line/pad I want to affect.

Have I read the manual wrong? Is this not possible? Or am I just doing the wrong thing?

TIA

Best Answer

• Gerry Carson
    Answer ✓
    Options

I maybe didn't explain this very well (excerpt from manual in attached image) but my intention is what you describe. However, when I press select+pad it does not select the notes as per your image. If I try to use shift+select+pad then the select button does not even light up when I use shift.

The other thing I noticed is that Select only lights up when I hold it, rather than staying on in "Select" mode (as per manual). Whereas when I press and release Events then it stays lit.

I think I have found the solution. I can use the Events button to achieve what I want and this seems to do what the shift+select is supposed to do. In the manual, their description is very much similar.

Perhaps this is a different in Mikro Mk3?

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited February 1
    Options

Where did you read that? No.

The Select button's main function is to silently select a Pad, without triggering its sound.

If you Shift+Select+Pad then you select all notes in that Pad, and the software shows you it's highlighted with a white border, like this:

Now that you have a selection if you Quantize, Nudge or do anything similar it will only be applied to those notes, you can also select with a mouse if don't want it to apply to all notes of the Pad.

• Gerry Carson
    Answer ✓
    Options

I maybe didn't explain this very well (excerpt from manual in attached image) but my intention is what you describe. However, when I press select+pad it does not select the notes as per your image. If I try to use shift+select+pad then the select button does not even light up when I use shift.

The other thing I noticed is that Select only lights up when I hold it, rather than staying on in "Select" mode (as per manual). Whereas when I press and release Events then it stays lit.

I think I have found the solution. I can use the Events button to achieve what I want and this seems to do what the shift+select is supposed to do. In the manual, their description is very much similar.

Perhaps this is a different in Mikro Mk3?

• D-One
    edited February 1
    Options

Oh wow, there's no Shift+Select on the Mikro? dang... that's crazy.

I don't have a Mikro at hand but if it's like the big MK3 then that "Select Mode" reference is not about a dedicated button, it's about an option that should show on the screen:

If you navigate around left/right on the mikro screen on EVENTS Mode doesn't a "Select" option show up there? The manual is a bit ambiguous on that explanation.

TBH Select Mode is already painful on a full MK3 with 2 big screens I can't really imagine it on a Mikro that is not designed to do everything from the controller, why not use the mouse?

• Gerry Carson
    edited February 2
    Options

I am a late comer to the Maschine party - I only got the Mikro last week, so still learning.

"I don't have a Mikro at hand but if it's like the big MK3 then that "Select Mode" reference is not about a dedicated button, it's about an option that should show on the screen:"

There is a Select button on the Mikro but as you said it seems to be for selecting pads without triggering them - I saw a video where you could use it to select different pads when you are in step mode.

"If you navigate around left/right on the mikro screen on EVENTS Mode doesn't a "Select" option show up there? The manual is a bit ambiguous on that explanation."

No - the left/right buttons do not function in Events mode. The Mikro is obviously much less than the full MK3 but I wanted to dip my toe in the water... I have mostly been using Ableton up to now with (old) APC40 and Novation Launchpad as controllers. I also use Traktor Pro with an S2 Mk3 for DJing.

"I can't really imagine it on a Mikro that is not designed to do everything from the controller, why not use the mouse?"

I still use the laptop screen to see what I am selecting etc but I am trying to keep my hands off the laptop as much as possible. In reality, I may not use this functionality much but useful to know it is there (e.g. to slightly nudge snares left).

Thanks for the responses.

• D-One
    Options

I understand, well... Be aware that the Mikro MK3 overall requires a ton of mouse/keyboard, unlike the MK3 but it should give you some sense of how the Maschine workflow can be. Cheers.

• Gerry Carson
    Options

Thanks again.