Maschine Plus - newbie - Triggering Kit from midi like in Pad mode

Options
Vago
Vago Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited January 31 in Maschine

Just got the M+ and connected it to my launchpad pro mk3 via USB and I'm able to play notes successfully.

However, when loading a Kit into Bank1 A1, the midi controller is only triggering the notes in the selected 1-16 sounds according to the selected sound (when selecting the pad). Similar to changing to keyboard mode.

I'd like to be able to do it from the launchpad and thought that it's different midi channels, however, sending C3 on ch1...16 still only triggers the selected "sound" patch.

Is it possible to trigger "pad" type notes from an external midi?

Hope i managed to explain my issue properly and thanks in advance for your supporting and community. i'm already learning a lot from this forum.

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,300 Expert
    edited January 31 Answer ✓
    Options

You have 2 ways to achieve that.

First one (most direct imo) is to change a setting. In Channel/midi, under the Group tab/Input you change Routings Key Mode from Off to Drumkit

Second way is valid if you are using your own samples/slices. In this case you can select to slice to a single pad instead of spreading across the pads of a group. If the slices/samples are all contained in a single pad, they will automatically be seen as notes of a scale, therefore the external controller will play them using the different keys/pads.

Imo first method is more direct and effective, since you can use it with NI premade groups or with your own groups prepared in the same way. Advantage will be that the sounds will be “independent” and therefore you’ll still have the possibility to apply different fxs and what other to individual sounds, or route them in different ways. And also you will still have the chance to play every individual sound chromatically (maybe with another controller). Advantage of second solution is that the sounds will occupy only one pad.

Up to you to chose which method is better for your user case/workflow 😉

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited January 31 Answer ✓
    Options

You have 2 ways to achieve that.

First one (most direct imo) is to change a setting. In Channel/midi, under the Group tab/Input you change Routings Key Mode from Off to Drumkit

Second way is valid if you are using your own samples/slices. In this case you can select to slice to a single pad instead of spreading across the pads of a group. If the slices/samples are all contained in a single pad, they will automatically be seen as notes of a scale, therefore the external controller will play them using the different keys/pads.

Imo first method is more direct and effective, since you can use it with NI premade groups or with your own groups prepared in the same way. Advantage will be that the sounds will be “independent” and therefore you’ll still have the possibility to apply different fxs and what other to individual sounds, or route them in different ways. And also you will still have the chance to play every individual sound chromatically (maybe with another controller). Advantage of second solution is that the sounds will occupy only one pad.

Up to you to chose which method is better for your user case/workflow 😉

• Vago
    Vago Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

@LostInFoundation, thank you so much.

Group midi input was set to "none". i couldn't have found it without your guidance. once mapped to the controller it worked instantly!

Thanks for your assistance.

Vago

• LostInFoundation
    Options

No problem. Have fun!