Maschine MK3 Sampling Input Source - Internal - does not work ??

Options
gorf62
gorf62 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I've reviewed numerous posts whereby user's can not detect audio from PC/MAC without physically connecting a cable into the Line In jacks or Mic In jacks on MK3. Similarly, YT video's show hard connections from an audio interface (Scarlett/Focusrite, etc).

I have no problems with doing it this way although I feel like there maybe or should be a solution with MK3 itself since the Sampling / Recording Input Source has "internal" as a choice, along with External Stereo/Mono.

The MK3 manual states "To record audio signals coming from Maschine itself, select Internal." Since the MK3 audio interface is playing audio from the PC via USB and outputting to my External speakers through the MK3 Line out, it seems to have access to the audio but not for recording?? Strange! The manual goes on to state: "You can easily record the output of a particular Sound by setting SOURCE to Internal, soloing this Sound, and selecting its parent Group in the INPUT selector."

Perhaps the latter is where the answer lies as while I can solo the sound easy enough, selecting the parent Group in the input selector is a non-starter. The parent Group doesn't show up even though I have it selected - Group C1 in my case - while all other sounds across Groups A1 & B1 do show up. Anyone have ideas or suggestions.

Thank you.

Tagged:

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited January 26
    Options

I'm kind of confused about what's going on there...

@gorf62 said:

Perhaps the latter is where the answer lies as while I can solo the sound easy enough, selecting the parent Group in the input selector is a non-starter. The parent Group doesn't show up even though I have it selected - Group C1 in my case - while all other sounds across Groups A1 & B1 do show up. Anyone have ideas or suggestions.

Does the parent Group C1 have any sounds loaded in any of it's Pads?

• gorf62
    gorf62 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks D-One - making progress based on your response, yes I can now record my C1 based individual or Master sounds in the Group, which reflects the manual, thank you.

It still does not capture the playback audio as I guess that is not routed through or mixed into the Master stream. I'll add in the cables from Headphone out to External Line in today and suspect that will work, although I'm still perplexed as why this is required.

Seems like a internal routing / selector was not implemented - I'm curious if you can shed light on this or the tradeoffs NI made here. After all it is marketed with an audio interface so why should anyone need an external audio interface except if more inputs are required? I'll be losing the headphone jack unless I add a splitter / mixer - so it does matter to some extent.

Thanks again.

Joe

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited January 26
    Options

@gorf62

It still does not capture the playback audio as I guess that is not routed through or mixed into the Master stream. I'll add in the cables from Headphone out to External Line in today and suspect that will work, although I'm still perplexed as why this is required.

But what are you talking about? "playback audio" as in what is playing inside the Maschine SW application or are you trying to capture audio from other applications like your web browser, youtube, spotify, etc... ?

Setting the Source to Internal an Input as Master, means whatever is coming out of Maschine SW gets recorded, unless you're Pads/Groups are sending their Output thru one one of the 16 External Outs.