Traktor with Allen & Heath Xone:4D and 2x Rane Twelve MKII

Options
Jacco
Jacco Member Posts: 15 Member

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I've been DJing with Traktor like forever (14 years) together with a Xone:4D. Meanwhile I've gathered a couple of them Xone's. Since Ive been DJing from the 80's I'm used to use SL1200's with vinyl's/records. So recently I've extended my setup with 2x Rane Twelve MKII. These beasts are awesome! There are 2 strange behaviours in Traktor.

1.) once in a while (and rendomly) Traktor reports: check ground wire (for the Rane's that is). The Rane's don't have that wire. So I'm wondering how this can be fixed.

2.) When The Rane's and the Xone:4D are connected, the midi section of the Xone:4d is behaving like disconnected and not functional anymore. Traktor does not respond anymore to any of the midi messages from the Xone while I've programmed the Effects section there which I'd like to use.

Does anyone know any solution for these problems?

Many thanks in advance.

Jacco

Tagged:

Answers

• Jacco
    Options

A small update: When I connect only one of the Rane's instead of both, The midi section of the Xone:4D remains working. I'm trying to find out why and update this info when it's useful for anyone.

• Jacco
    Options
    As I understand forum readers don't recognize my issues, I've found a solution for problem 2. It's applying a USB hub with own power supply instead of a passive USB hub (without it's own power supply). Or connecting the Rane Twelves directly to the computer without a HUB.
    For problem 1: a correct timecode signal is required to come out of the Rane Twelve MKII. Current timecode signal is not fully compatible with Traktor. Traktor report ground hum while there is no ground wire connection is available. I've tried a dozen different brand and lengths of cable (RCA and USB) without any luck. I even tried different Xone:4D mixers. I also tried every timecode signal volume on the Rane's. There is no noticeable differences except when using SL1200 turntables or CDJ's with Traktor timecode vinyls or CD's. I hope that Rane and Native Instruments can get in touch with each other to get this sorted into possible firmware updates on the Rane Twelves.
  • DJ Distant Planet
    DJ Distant Planet Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 13
    Options

I can relate. I use a Traktor Kontrol Z2 with two Rane Twelve MKIIs, an X1 MK2, and an F1. The ground hum issue is a problem since it triggers periodic warnings messages in the status indicator, inducing potentially unnecessary paranoia. The warning message can be hidden by hiding the status indicator on the browser, however, that means you're not seeing other possible warnings. I have also experienced odd midi behavior. In my set up, this seems to occur only if I attempt to use the MKIIs touchstrip in hot cue mode. I prefer to use the Z2s hot cue buttons, however, this issue also induces a small amount of paranoia. For the time being, I have paused using the Rane Twelves when DJing at clubs, where reliability is essential, opting for CDJs instead. Hopefully, someone at either company is working on a solution for at least the ground hum issue. The midi issue may be a mapping related problem.

NOTE: I also tried various (new) RCA and USB cables. No change as far as the ground hum warning is concerned.

• Jacco
    Options

Thanks for responding. My experiences are exactly the same with different hardware except for the Rane's. I'm pretty sure that the time-code signal from the Rane's are not fully compatible somehow and differs from the original Traktor time-code media.

• Jacco
    edited February 18
    Options

After testing, testing and testing, the play head skips also. Only a few times. Therefore NI and Rane should definitely get in touch with each other to get this sorted.

Other timecode sources like the NI CD's or vinyls don't have this issue.

On Rane forums I also read that Rane doesn't support Traktor. But they only need to provide proper timecode on the Rane Twelve's.