Keyswitches Session Strings 2

Options
Bernie Rivera
Bernie Rivera Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

Hallo everybody.

I wonder how to assign different articulations in a clip using Session Strings 2. E.g. changing from legato to staccato.

I can’t find key switches or any hint for that in the manuals. I ´m using cakewalk and Kontakt Player 7.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,971 Guru
    Options

Maybe you can just click on the top left corner of the library window, which looks like the typical 'settings' logo.

You click on it, and then you are inside Instrument Options.

There you can edit the keyrange and velocity.

Let me know if it helped.

• Bernie Rivera
    Options

@Milos

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately this didn´t help me out.

I have found out in the comparison site that there are no keyswitches for the Session Strings 2 just for the Pro Version. This I can´t understand because in their product video NI gives the impression that you can change articulation within a clip easily. I still wonder how to do this without an assigned articulation map.

I asked this the "support" of NI.

The answer was: "Buy the Pro Version!"

WTF!

• Milos
    Options

Yeah...you need to buy it...

But if you have K6 Full version, you can buy K7 Update price for a cheaper price!

That is all I can help with.

• Bernie Rivera
    Options

@Milos

Ok. However, thanks for your help!

• Milos
    Options

No need to...

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 296 Pro
    edited January 21
    Options

Seems extraordinary.

You could load several instances of the instrument, on separate channels, each with its own articulation (won't increase loading time or RAM usage). Then control articulation by changing channel.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,947 mod
    edited January 21
    Options

Just enable the Keyboard View (F3) in Kontakt and you will be able to see where things are based on the NKS Colors.

Manual Page #8:

If you hoover over it with a mouse it tells you what each one is too.

• Bernie Rivera
    Options

@stephen24

Yes I know, I did it that way. But thats not very comfortable and does not help in live playing.

Normally you can play an instrument with different articulations in one track or live by using key switches.

• Bernie Rivera
    Options

@D-One

Thanks, I now that, but that was not the question.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,947 mod
    edited January 22
    Options

Well... I guess the anwser to the OP question is you can't then. I was looking at the pro version, the non pro seems to be only velocity based for changing articulations. More oriented towards programing than actual live play I guess, unless you have really great velocity control while playing.

• stephen24
    Options

A simple instrument script could provide custom keyswitches to fix and control the velocity of your notes. Would you need help with that?

• Bernie Rivera
    Options

Yes. I think you´re right, unfortunately. You can only switch between two articulations by velocity control, not by key switch.

• Bernie Rivera
    edited January 22
    Options

Thanks, sounds interesting, but wouldn´t solve the main problem. I can control the velocity well on the keyboard. The problem is to switch between the articulations. Maybe my expectations were a little to high or to special for this VST-Software.

• stephen24
    Options

If you need only 2 articulations you can set velocity to control them and a suitable script will give you a fixed velocity controlled by keyswitches. If you need more you can give each articulation its own channel as described above and a suitable multiscript can change channel by means of keyswitches. Either way you can control articulations by keyswitches. Do you need help or not?