Comments

• afros
    afros Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Sorry for the typo.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 833 Guru
    Options

Understand Reaktor is relatively easy - a few weeks working through the Manuals

'Bringing it's potential' would take many lifetimes.

Reaktor is a development environment. Learning all it's mechanisms doesn't take long at all - much easier than a DAW. All the info you need to get to an advanced level in terms of how the tools work is in the manuals.

Learning all the possible different ways it can be used would take literally an eternity. Most of them haven't even been discovered yet.

Demanding free lessons in DSP and audio engineering from first principals with no math to the level that would be required to designs e.g. pro quality filters and anti-aliasing oscillators... and the rest... that's like demanding that if you buy Cubase, Steinberg give you a nice packaged set of free lessons in musical composition, performance and production that get you from 'do re me' to a postgraduate level... in multiple genres too (else the important one that I want might be missing). It's ludicrous.

Only thing I can thing of is that my idea of what DSP is, is different from that of some people who don't know what DSP is :-/

• colB
    Options

Max grew out of academia whereas Reaktor was developed much later, and specifically as a commercial product. So it makes total sense that there would be a lot of high quality learning materials at many different levels focussed around Max. It also makes sense that this would not be the case for Reaktor, and that for so long, Reaktor had better performance and better sound quality, with much more 'pro' level libraries. Those things don't matter nearly as much in academia as they do in the commercial world.

10ish years ago I was working in a local University, and I was chatting with one of the lecturers in the muli-media dept. who was teaching some 'intro to digital audio' type of course using Max. I told him that I was doing a lot of stuff in Reaktor. He hadn't even heard of it! he didn't know it even existed.

It is totally unreasonable to expect a purely commercial product to have the same weight of learning resources around it as set of tools that grew out of academia ~40 years ago and evolved alongside the knowledge being taught.

• gentleclockdivider
    gentleclockdivider Member Posts: 168 Helper
    edited April 10
    Options

If you say 'it doesn't sound great , then that's probably becasue you have downloaded user enembles that rely on the primary modules alone .

The user libary is both a godsend and an annoyance , because tom many people just upload mediocre sounding stuff , .

If thoussands of people upload ensembles with the stock pro 52 filter then it's understandable that the majoity thinks that reaktor has a certain sound , true the primary modules have a certain sound but reaktor core language does not .

It's like saying a programming language has a sound .

It doesn't .

The filters and osc's in primary are 20+ years old(except the modal and sine bank ) , so it's old dsp code , they sounded great for that time.

To be honoust I still use primary a lot , building a 512 band vocoder with primary with almost no cpu overhead ..awesome ..or splitting incoming audio and rejuggle them with 512 primary sine waves ...nice (the voice module is a source of power )

And I think it sounds stellar

Core language let's you make whatever you want , it's reaktor' own dsp language , and blocks, monark , super eight etc is proof that it sounds awesome .

• Cretin Dilettante
    Cretin Dilettante Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    Options

I love how you acknowledge that Max has the exact kind of learning material I was asking for, but still pretend it doesn't/couldn't (or shouldn't?) possibly exist for Reaktor.

• colB
    Options

lol

I'm not pretending anything. I've never said it couldn't or shouldn't. I'm saying it didn't, it doesn't and it won't. And I explained why.

Anyway, good luck with Max. Once you've learned dsp and digital audio engineering using Max's goldilocks (for you) learning resources, it will be trivially easy to use that knowledge with Reaktor, just take a few days to work through the manuals, and you will be ready to rock!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 620 Guru
    edited April 11
    Options

hmm, good point. Since max4live runs max patches, perhaps this is a good solution for me as well.. I think my actual Max/MSP licence is still for v 6, havent felt the need to upgrade since M4L comes with its own Max binaries

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    Options

After I got Reaktor the very first thing I said was "Reaktor Rocks"; and that is does. What great programmers with a great vision and they absolutely made a dream come true. Don't tell me they out did themselves with guitar rig. What did they do?