[REQUEST] Faster browsing with single clicks and up/down arrows?

Options
TORLEY
TORLEY Member Posts: 88 Helper

I like to streamline my workflow and fold many steps into fewer or one step, and along with the fantastic 🔀 shuffle button that opens a surprise preset with each single click, I wish I could browse presets with a single click.

Let me explain: right now we have to double-click each preset to load it. We also can't use up/down arrow keys to navigate the list when it has focus — I'm used to doing this in other effects and instruments.

As I figure, if someone accidentally clicks on a preset, they could always hit Undo ↩️ to go back to the last one.

I know this behaves somewhat differently to some of NI's other stuff: Kontakt for example, uses single clicks for preview and double clicks for load, but you can use up/down arrow keys. But in Guitar Rig, I don't see single clicks doing anything else.

So in summary:

1. Can Guitar Rig can updated to allow for at least the option of single clicks to change presets? This would benefit others used to this behavior.
  2. Can up/down arrow keys be enabled to scroll through the list without needing the mouse?

Thank you for considering.

Comments

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Options

Which DAW are you using? I'm asking because arrow-navigation in the preset browser works in standalone mode of Guitar Rig. But we have often seen issues where the DAW is not allowing all keys to be send to the plugin.

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,971 Guru
    Options

Dear Eddie,

I also have a request for GR.

To make the 'Latest' or History button to see in which date did we created a certain fx rack!

• TORLEY
    Options

@Eddie_NI Whoa! I didn't notice this before vs. standalone. I'm in Ableton Live 11 and am definitely seeing an inconsistency, so in that respect, it's a bug not a feature request?

@Milos You mean like sorting this so in addition to Curated and Alphabetical order, it'd show dates? I can see the use of that!

• Milos
    Options

Yeah. It would be great too.

• Don1990
    Don1990 Member Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 16
    Options

Can up/down arrow keys be enabled to scroll through the list without needing the mouse?

In FL studio this is possible (In the Maschine software as well I just noticed). You do have to click a preset first though. Once you double click preset, press arrow down and then enter. It switches to the next preset.

Not having to use Enter would be more user friendly indeed!

• Eddie_NI
    Options

Thank you all for your improvement suggestions. I've noted down

• Sort rack presets by date they were saved
    • Optional single-click for preset loading
    • Improved (consistent) keyboard control with up/down keys for all plugins/daws with optionally no need to hit the Enter key for loading the selected preset.

I will bring these suggestions up for consideration for the next update.

• Milos
    Options

Thank you, Eddie!

You are the G.O.A.T. of the Guitar Rig community!! : D

• Eddie_NI
    Options

As a workaround for quickly stepping through presets you can MIDI control the up/down arrows next to the preset name above the rack with an external midi controller, I have mapped this onto two pads of my Akai MPK mini, works pretty well. If you don't have an external MIDI controller then at least in Ableton Live you can also use your computer keyboard as a MIDI controller and map two keys to step through presets. Let me know if you need any help in setting this up.

• TORLEY
    Options

@Eddie_NI That may be even better in some situations! I do this with synths from Spectrasonics and Arturia that allow MIDI mapping to up/down change presets. THANKS YOU ROCK!