Repeat note without the note repeat

Options
Don1990
Don1990 Member Posts: 67 Member

Is there a way to make a note, like a hi-hat repeat itself at like 1/32 dotted. So for example, I put a normal hat on pad 3, and on pad 4 it has the same hi-hat but it repeats itself. This way when I record I can easily tap in my humanized regular hihats but also have a 1/32 dotted in between since I cannot play the hi-hats that fast with my fingers.

I know Battery has this option (as well as the MPC's), but haven't seen it in the Maschine.

Tagged:

Comments

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    Options

My first question is: why does it have to be without Note Repeat? This functionality is very well designed both for sequencing as well as live playing and any workaround for an admittedly missing ratchet feature in the sequencer is clumsier than just learning to handle Note Repeat fluently

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,157 Guru
    Options

His style? You can call it the art of repeating witout repeating.

😁

• Don1990
    Options

Well, all live performers use this technique (like Araabmuzik) so that you have 3 pads with different note repeats that you can access right away from playing. How can you play live, press note repeat, switch the rate, switch the unit all at the same time lol. That's impossible.

Why would NI have added it to battery if it was so useless?

• Murat Kayi
    Options

First things first: it's not there. You have to think of workarounds. Resampling e.g.

Then, yes, it would be awesome to have ratchets, conditional triggers and whatnot. Don't forget to add your idea to the ideas threads (assistive playing tools, I guess)

Most of the settings are saved with groups, maybe the note repeat settings remember where you left if also per group. You could set up three identical groups next to each other with different note repeat settings and use your left hand while drumming to switch between groups. Just a thought

• Don1990
    Options

Got you. I think adding a delay plugin is the easiest route in this situation. Just have to find a good delay VSTI where you can have the feedback notes play at 100%

• Murat Kayi
    Options

You know, I just thought, the easiest way is actually using the stutter echo perform FX on the group. Set it up like you need to (there's quite a few knobs to tweak) and then just use the touch strip

• PK The DJ
    Options

Well I don't know what these "all live performers" are doing then, as I've just been through my MPC manual and just like Maschine the repeat rate is global. You can't set it per pad. You can however change the rate with the MPC touch strip.

If you've seen/heard someone doing it, maybe they're just using looped samples.

• Don1990
    Options

It's not possible to use the strip when you are live finger drumming, you only have so much fingers.

@PK The DJ : well, look at it like ghost kicks/snares. Why do live finger drummers use multiple pads for ghost kicks/snares? They could also just disable the FIXED VELOCITY, but it's more efficient when you duplicate the kick or snare and set it to a lower volume on another pad rather than having to focus on hitting the right velocity each time. Same thing goes for note-repeated sounds. You cannot finger drum and press note repeat, and change the rate at the same time.

Battery has this function called Articulation which pretty much does what I am looking for within Maschine.

• PK The DJ
    Options

I dunno. Doesn't look like he's using repeat to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEhCDRvQKA

• Murat Kayi
    Options

It's not possible to use the strip when you are live finger drumming, you only have so much fingers.

Only a sith deals in absolutes. (Obi-Wan)

• Don1990
    edited January 14
    Options

https://youtu.be/b9a_6G3Aj58?si=728D96ijj_Z7ioam

Peep the snare roll at 1:25 seconds, impossible to play a 1/64 note repeat while drumming lol, not even Araabmuzik can play it that fast