Compatibility between Maschine 2 and the S61 MK3 keyboard

Options
Grazal17
Grazal17 Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi,

In the advertisement of the S61 MK3 keyboard we can read :

"Integration with major software sequencers, you can concentrate on your game without having to look at your computer screen. Starts and stops recording, goes back using the dedicated keys; mix and edit your music, and view all the tracks in your project on screen"

But it is not possible to control the only NI sequencer: Maschine 2 software !!!

No tracks controls, no Star, Stop, Rewind or Forward controls etc ....

S61 is just a basic midi keyboard without the features of Maschine 2 software. Should I have bought CUBASE? Did I make a mistake in purchasing this keyboard which was supposed to be at the center of my Native Instrument ecosystem?

Comments

• Vic Angelo
    Vic Angelo Member Posts: 110 Advisor
    Options

Yes, you made a mistake in getting the Kontrol MK3, loss of Transport controls in Maschine are just the tip of the iceberg.

has no library controls, no mixer controls, cant use key mode, no light controls, no note editing, no scales, no chords, no arpeggiator, in fact no screen extension of Maschine at all. Only generic MIDI and CC controls like any other keyboard. Except worse because there is no controller editor or midi template editor.

get a Kontrol Mk2 instead, and you will have full Maschine control the way it should be.

BTW Their current explanation of why they did it has caused some loud backlash and disappointment from the community. As it should, they def made a miscalculation on who actually uses and cared about those features.

• Grazal17
    Options

Afterwards, all this can be corrected by an S61 MK3 firmware update or an update of Maschine 2. It will have to move a little NI, or I will definitely move on to other controllers...

In the meantime, I find that it is false advertising to have hidden this non-compatibility which existed on the MK2 version

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,152 Guru
    edited January 5
    Options

Nothing was hidden. It was well documented/publicised that the Maschine side of things had been dropped from the MK3 keyboards, before they were even made available to buy.

In your quote it says "major software sequencers". Maschine 2 is not a major software sequencer. Looking around the NI site, they call it a "groove production system" and similar phrases. Never a sequencer.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited January 5
    Options

While the lack of Maschine support is both baffling and infuriating saying the info "Hidden" is a bit of a stretch, it's one of the most discussed things on its release all over the forum... You can't expect a company to go out of their way to advertise what the keyboard does not do compared to previous models, they usually focus on what it does.

Now... If you say it's an expected feature and quite disappointing, then I agree. But, it's our responsibility as buyers to do minimal research before buying too. If it doesn't have something you consider mandatory then vote with the wallet and don't buy it or return it, if everyone does that maybe they will think twice about removing things...

• PK The DJ
    edited January 5
    Options

Looking at the Maschine product page I can see how a new visitor could be misled.

There's a pic of a MK2 keyboard as "THE PERFECT COMPLEMENT TO MASCHINE" with the phrase "Turbocharge your setup with a KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series keyboard" and a link.....to the MK3 keyboards.

Nothing to say that the MK2s work but the new ones don't.

• D-One
    edited January 5
    Options

The link lands on the KKS page where there's more than just the KKS MK3, the M32/A Series is also there and is compatible, however... You still have a point on it being a bit misleading. dang... 🫣

The page is the same to what it was before the KKS MK3 launch, it made sense before but now that advertisement of "THE PERFECT COMPLEMENT" should def be removed or edited for clarity.

• PK The DJ
    edited January 5
    Options

Yeah there are other keyboards, but it states "S-Series". Definitely somebody needs to get on the case and change the text and image.

• RedwardMc
    RedwardMc Member Posts: 84 Advisor
    Options

Actually yes they should definitely communicate when a major function is lost.

• D-One
    Options
  • Grazal17
    Options

What I find astonishing is that there are all the controllers to control Maschine 2 software, and yet, these controllers are not active when using the software. can NI make an official communication on these facts?

• D-One
    edited January 8
    Options

What controllers ar you referring to? All MAschine controllers should be active when using the software.. But only one of each type works at a time, you can have a Jam, MK3 and KK-S mk1/mk2 all at the same time but not say an MK3 and a Mikro Mk3, meaning you can't have 2 4x4 controllers at the same time or 2 compatible KKS keyboards.

• D-One
    edited January 10
    Options

Well... I dont need to read, it's my experience using Maschine controllers for 10+ years and having owned a bunch of them, but many other users confirmed the same behavior, so it's just a known fact at this point.

What is not working for you? Which controllers? Tell us whats going on and maybe we can help

• PK The DJ
    Options

This hasn't been dealt with yet. @D-One who at NI can we @ to get this updated?

• D-One
    Options