Maschine Plus Hardware Upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,945 mod
    Options

That sort of stuff usually is picked with quite a bit of overhead, no? Especially if NI planned for future upgrades. It also needs to be able to supply power to external devices too, at least 5 watts for the 2 USBs. I wonder if that sort of power/upgrade info is available somewhere in the congatec documentation.

Still so risky... Don't go touching capacitors! 💥

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

I need to find my Kill-a-Watt and see how much power the M+ uses on average. That will be a starting point to determine how much extra power if any is available.

One would assume that the main power rail of the carrier board would have to at least support 40 watts, which is what's listed by the DC jack (DC 15V @ 2.66A). And you'd also assume that there is some margin built-in for power spikes, surges etc...

With that said, I'm not an electrical engineer so I have no idea what the typical margin would be, 5%? 10%? There's a cost factor in there too because it's a consumer device, so the more money that is spent to over-engineer something the less money they make off each unit.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,364 Expert
    Options

@reffahcs I remember having observed current readouts on the display of my Omni+ power bank. Something around 0.7A to 1.1A during startup and 0.9A during playback of projects with CPU load of about 60%. With 15V that means it will consume around 12W sustained and probably 18W peak. The power supply also needs to power the USB ports, but that’s just another 5W (2,5W per port). There should be plenty of headroom.

I don’t think the power supply dimension was chosen explicitly for the M+ but is the same as the universal power supply for all other NI products.

Looking forward to your measurements.