Next or previous scene selector via MIDI foot controller

Wouter De Muynck
Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

Hello,

I'm using an Xsonic Airstep as MIDI controller for Scene selection within Maschine. Via Edit - MIDI change in Maschine I was able to trigger the individual scenes via Program Change configuration where PC number 0 runs Scene 1, PC number 1 runs Scene 2 and so on from the Xsonic Airstep. I combine this with the Scene Sync/Retrigger option in the Header and this works nicely. The disadvantage is that I need a lot of controllers buttons to match all the scenes in a single song.

I was wondering if there is a possibility to use a single MIDI trigger for the next scene and a MIDI trigger for the previous scene so I only need 2 buttons in total to switch between scenes in whatever song I'm playing.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Wouter

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

@Blindeddie I received feedback from Xsonic, the increment/decrement function will be available in the next major firmware update.

Grtz,

Wouter

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Does the airstep have Increment/Decrement functionality?

• Wouter De Muynck

@Blindeddie thanks for your reply! I wasn't aware that some MIDI controllers have this feature and it would indeed solve the issue. I checked the manual/forum of Xsonic and I couldn't find any info on that feature. I will ask their support if it is on the roadmap.

Grtz,

Wouter

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

@Blindeddie I received feedback from Xsonic, the increment/decrement function will be available in the next major firmware update.

Grtz,

Wouter

• joshing
    joshing Member Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 21

EDIT: It works on the M-Vave. Success! It didn't initially show up in the M+ Midi USB devices but does now.

This is great to hear. Have you had success with this? I will buy an airstep if so. I'm hoping you can share suggestions with my issue below ...

I am currently using a M-Vave chocolate and am trying to do the same thing. I am able to send a PC number and have tried 0 and 1, but no luck.

Does AirStep show up in the Maschine Midi settings? I have my MVave plugged in via USB and it is not listed. I only see:

Maschine Plus / Maschine Plus MIDI In

USB MAS+/USB MAS+

Here's an example of what the pedal is configured to send:

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited February 4

Small update on the upcoming Airstep firmware... it's still in progress unfortunately, I will again ask for a status. Por the moment I have Program Change values linked to separate buttons of the Airstep, PC 1 - button 1, PC 2 - button 2... it works, but PC +/- 1 assigned to 2 buttons would spare me some buttons 🙂

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    edited February 4

in practical terms of full control....

if one tends to jump around from scene to scene in a random manner, you would need to have as many triggers as necessary.... the realities of a incremental/decremental become apparent when your scenes number increases

if you were to ever utilise a DAW to use multiple MaschineVST's all running in sync, then a incremental would be insufficient... and a banking system on the midi foot controllers would be the go...

another method that could be employed if using midi foot controllers... is the use of double press... and a longpress... and leaving the single press out of the triggering... unfortunately... this doublepress longpress is not implemented in Maschine... but could be done with a external midi program& fed back into maschine or in some cases Daw's can handle this, as is the case with the Reaper Daw i use, but this double use of a physical button or pad... makes for doubling up the use on a single pad, a timing aspect is introduced if doing any immediate triggering is required, so that needs to be considered