Ableton problem when updating from Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk1 to Mk2

Options
Hamletmaschine
Hamletmaschine Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

I've just upgraded from KK S49 Mk 1 to Mk 2. The KK VST is now in Ableton's VST3 folder, whereas previously my songs used the older KK VST.

Now, when I open a song, KK is no longer in the old VST folder, and so Live can't play anything. But when I click on a track that used to use KK, Ableton crashes and the work appears to be lost.

Any suggestions for how I might be able to change tracks from one type of VST to another? Or is there a .dll file I can reinstall into Live so that it reads the old one, but I can use the new one for new songs?

Best Answer

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru
    Options

Which OS are you using, which audio engine are your projects running on?

• Hamletmaschine
    Options

I'm using Windows 10, Ableton 10 Suite, if that's what you mean by audio engine. Or a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.

• Milos
    Options

I meant audio engine like MME, ASIO or WASAPI Shared or Inclusive...

• Hamletmaschine
    Options

Sorry, ASIO.

• Milos
    Options

It's ok...just to be sure...

As for the issue, hmm... do you at least have the sounds from the old KK?

If you do, you can just load them into the new MK2 you just got.

Speaking from experience, I had K6 Player nearly 2 and a half years ago, and when I bought K7 Full version, I had couple of glitches when I wanted to load K6 (at least it had the sounds I could use again on K7).

Let me know if it works.

• Hamletmaschine
    Options

No, no sounds playing in Live because there're no KK VST driving them.

And most of the sounds aren't Kontakt ones, as far as I'm aware. Sorry that this is proving tricky.

• Milos
    Options

Oh...then I don't know...sorry.

Have a nice day, good sir.

• Hamletmaschine
    Options

Thanks for trying!

• Milos
    Options

No problem...

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,222 mod
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Did you upgrade from Komplete Kontrol 2 to 3? If so the VST2 version was uninstalled as KK3 only has a VST3 version rather than VST2+VST3 that was the case with KK2. You can roll back to KK2 as that works perfectly with the MK2 keyboards. Once you do that you can replace the VST2 plugins on your tracks with the VST3 versions and you're ready to upgrade to KK3 once you're happy it does what you want. You might find it a good idea to save presets for each of the tracks so you can replicate the instruments easily.

Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 - Last VST2 supported version — Community (native-instruments.com)

-- Mike

• Hamletmaschine
    Options

Thanks so much, Mike - it wasn't the upgrade from MK1 to MK2, but the upgrade from KK2 to KK3.