Komplete Kontrol 3.x Standalone not opening and VST3 throwing an exception in Ableton

Options
LonelyCloud
LonelyCloud Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hello,

When I try to open the standalone Komplete Kontrol, the application goes through scanning VSTs, and then gets stuck on the splash screen on "Initializing GUI...". Reinstalling both KK and Native Access doesn't work. I've tried removing every VST plugin I have, and it still does this:

In addition, when I open the VST3 in Ableton, the plugin window doesn't open, even though Ableton says it's enabled. When I then try to close the plugin window using Ableton's wrench icon, Ableton crashes with a fatal error. Ableton at least keeps a log, so when I looked into it, one of the lines says

"error: Vst3: exception thrown from 'class Steinberg::IPlugView * __ptr64::attached': Dynamic exception type: class boost::filesystem::filesystem_error std::exception::what: boost::filesystem::status: An untrusted certificate authority was detected while processing the smartcard certificate used for authentication. Please contact your system administrator [system:-2146892974]: "/\Documentation\AURAS Manual English.pdf" "

I cannot understand why this is happening, and I can't seem to find any "AURAS Manual English.pdf" on my computer. I have a feeling both of these errors are related, so I'm putting them in one post, this shouldn't be related to Ableton itself, just the VST. Any help would be appreciated, I can post the full log or additional screenshots if needed.

Best Answer

• LonelyCloud
    Answer ✓
    Options

I was able to solve the issue on my own, I hope this can stay up so that anyone else who experiences this can learn. A bit of background: A few years ago I had NI software installed on Windows 10 with legacy products on another, older NI account. I removed these products (or so I thought), and later installed Windows 11 while also moving all of my new NI software (from a new NI account) to a new hard drive. Based on what I got from the Ableton crash log, Komplete Kontrol was still searching for the legacy software on the old hard drive, and since they didn't show up in Native Access (because I was using a different account), there was no way for me to remove or relocate the legacy content. The reason why it was still searching for them was because the software was still showing in my Windows registry. I used the NI Uninstall RegTool to remove the legacy content, and now Komplete Kontrol standalone and VST3 are working as intended.

Thank you,

Answers

• LonelyCloud
    Answer ✓
    Options

I was able to solve the issue on my own, I hope this can stay up so that anyone else who experiences this can learn. A bit of background: A few years ago I had NI software installed on Windows 10 with legacy products on another, older NI account. I removed these products (or so I thought), and later installed Windows 11 while also moving all of my new NI software (from a new NI account) to a new hard drive. Based on what I got from the Ableton crash log, Komplete Kontrol was still searching for the legacy software on the old hard drive, and since they didn't show up in Native Access (because I was using a different account), there was no way for me to remove or relocate the legacy content. The reason why it was still searching for them was because the software was still showing in my Windows registry. I used the NI Uninstall RegTool to remove the legacy content, and now Komplete Kontrol standalone and VST3 are working as intended.

Thank you,