Can't make the Komplete Kontrol A61 work with Cubase 13

Beauhanister
Beauhanister Member Posts: 16 Member
edited October 22 in Komplete Kontrol

I have a new A61 and i have just installed Cubase 13. Try as I might I can't get the keyboard to operate. No midi signal showing on the track, no sound. I've followed all the procedures = studio select midi controller etc. It works in Reaper. I don't know what on earth I'm doing wrong, I am a newbie, so.....

I'd be so grateful if somebody could shine a light, lovely new set up and I can't use it.

Thank Your for your time. Gav

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,839 mod
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓

Your midi port setup (second picture) is wrong, you have to use the non DAW ports there. Please look again closely at my picture you can easily overlook that detail. You need to activate the first midi port and disable there all the ports with DAW in the name.

Answers

• Uwe303
    edited November 2023

Hello,

have you set it up like you see here in the picture under studio settings?

and set no midi filter under "program settings - midi - midi filter"

• Beauhanister

Thank you for your response. Komplete Kontrol is not working on it's own even as standalone. I've been all over youtube It looks like a great machine, difference being with mine is that it's not reliable, not even as plug and play midi keyboard. As I said thank You for your time Uwe

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,191 mod

Sounds as if the keyboard has not been properly recognized by your OS : My Native Instruments Hardware Device is Not Recognized  : https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4410096148113

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,848 mod
    edited November 2023

@Beauhanister First you need to install Komplete Kontrol, as well as Kontakt Player, Reaktor and all the products you wish in Native Access.

Then try to open Komplete Kontrol in standalone. Does it open or not? If not, what's happening?

If it's opening, then go to Preferences -> MIDI, make sure to select the A keyboard as input and output, as well as the A DAW port.

If you are not able to do the above, try these steps: My KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboard Does Not Start

Now open Cubase, are you able to load the Komplete Kontrol plug-in?

• Beauhanister

I don't know what to say, I have bee very foolish. Iwas so obsessed with the new cubase I ignored other programmes as tests. As a midi keyboard it works perfectly in Ableton, Cakewalk and reaper. I became fixated on Cubase - where i'm still at a loss - However it's obvious that your product is working as it should. You can, I'm sure, imagine how stupid I feel. So I'll have to jump over to steinberg forums.

Talk about eating crow, well that's all my fault. Again my sincere apologies.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,848 mod

@Beauhanister No need to feel stupid, we also appreciate the fact you apologised, even if you did not break any rule here or insukt anyone. We can still help for Cubase. Are you running it as admin? How to Run a Program as an Administrator

Does it show at all in your Studio settings, like @Uwe303 showed? Can you share a screenshot of your preferences there?

• Beauhanister

Hi NI, thank you for your continued help, done a little reading and to the best of my ability Updated every driver connected to Native I. there was one process turned off - I can't remember which one it was - I turned it on(?). seems to work fine in the other DAWs, though IO don't really us them. But cubase - which is

a fresh install - still continues to baffle, though it's true to say it;s been YEARS since I was last into it. I don't know whether these screen shots will help or not

• Uwe303
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓

Your midi port setup (second picture) is wrong, you have to use the non DAW ports there. Please look again closely at my picture you can easily overlook that detail. You need to activate the first midi port and disable there all the ports with DAW in the name.

• Beauhanister

Like this;

I get sound from virtual ,Kontact keyboard. But no response from Komplete Kontrol Keyboard, no midi signal no sound.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2023

Almost done you also have to switch the "all midi" setting to the other port and it should work. This setting is an auto focus thing, every midi device you activate there will be automatically routed to a selected channel if it's too set to "all midi in" instead of a certain device, so this is also important but by default it's set correctly in the tracks

• Beauhanister

Excellent, Thank you so much for your time and patience.

• Uwe303

No problem, you are welcome

• Beauhanister

Hi NI, I cannot browse instruments in cubase using Komplete. I have been reading the manual as well as looking for you tube vids. I just cannot get the browser to light up. Have I made a mistake somewhere with the Cubase set up - that did take me a long time to understand. All the Play/Stop etc. seems fine. Help appreciated.

• Uwe303

Normally if you select a track with komplete kontrol or kontakt loaded you just press the browse button. You just have to load an instance of kk or komplete 7 beforehand.

• Beauhanister

OK Uwe, thank you for your reply.

This discussion has been closed.