Automation Recording Maschine 2.0&HDW

Options
PortableDJs
PortableDJs Member Posts: 27 Member

Hi guys!

I hope that pro/seasoned Maschine users will help out with this: Automation Recording gives me very inconsistent results with Maschine Jam, Maschine MK2 and Maschine Mikro MK3. Automation "sounds good" live, but when I want to record it to enrich my mix, I get weird artifacts, automation behave weirdly (autos nevers stops or begin earlier in the mix, choppy results, routine starts or ends poorly), I even got "project cannot be saved" until I deleted the automation just one hour ago.

Is there any tricks you can share (please share pictures too)?

Better automate in the pattern view and then import clips/scenes already automated in the song view?

I dunno what to do guys, I have been using vst effects that do step sequencing to achieve the same results I could do automating live through NI hardware...

Please help

Best

G.

I am on Win 11, Maschine 2.0, I own Jam, MK2 and Mikro MK3

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

I get weird artifacts, automation behave weirdly (autos nevers stops or begin earlier in the mix, choppy results, routine starts or ends poorly), I even got "project cannot be saved" until I deleted the automation just one hour ago.

Never heard about such reports to be honest, maybe you have your buffer size to big and are dealing with too much latency?

Or maybe heavy FX or Plugins are adding latency? Do you have anything crazy like idk, Ozone on the Master or something?

• PortableDJs
    edited November 2023
    Options

I mostly use wasapi (shared or exclusive). On exclusive the buffer is set to 512, like Asio's default settings. The problem i mentioned appear using stock perform fx during mixing phase, so before adding mastering fx/chain on the Master Bus.

Edit: It seems to work ok if I first create a (at least ) 4 bars long clip where I record the automation inside. Doing so Maschine manage to write the final part of the automation and the effect closes properly. So the workflow: 1) add a perform fx and 2) press auto and record the effect, is not working for me, as (at least) the fx stays opened even if I released the touchpad on the the JAM.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 642 Pro
    Options

im just guessing here... but if i were to go by the resolution of the automation(viewed in the automation lane) and how the jaggedy edges are, the artifacts "may" be a side effect of the poor resolution...

you can adjust the resolution of the automation by making the step or grid size finer

but this is entirely a guess.....

if again you are rendering with ripped stems then this will compound the problem... but again it is a guess

i did a video some time back bypassing the need for rendering out of maschine, and just record everything on the fly (perform FX automation etc) at which point you could chop up everything you did after you've done a number of takes... and although i dont show the process of editing after recording... its basically another way of recording without rendering and making sure you get exactly what you played or what your ears hear.

that said this was done in Reaper with Maschine as a VST

this video was just to demonstrate how to record everything from Maschine as you perform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCAsDWCyoSM

• PortableDJs
    Options

Thanks, I guess that in order to get smoother automations I should increase the resolution too. I ll check your video man, thanks for sharing