Beatjump MIDI Out - S4 MK3

Options
2bays
2bays Member Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

I would like to send a MIDI note whenever I beatjump using the move knob on the S4. I am using Touchdesigner to receive MIDI signal from Traktor using LoopBe, and have had success pairing the Loop Size, Select/Set+Store Hotcue, Volume, Play state, Loop Size Selector, and Is In Active Loop controls.

I'm hung up delivering a signal when I roll the move knob. If I click the move arrows forward or backward, it occasionally send the midi signal I would expect, from the 'Move' control. I also am trying to send signal, to a different channel, with the 'Beatjump' control. Is there a different control I would have better success using?

Answers

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,676 mod
    Options

Map global midi knob to your MOVE knob and have it output values from that knob. (Uncheck override)

• 2bays
    Options

I presume I need to map global midi knob1 to the MOVE knob as an 'IN' on the s4mk3. Then map the global midi knob 1 as an OUT on my LoopBe port. Now I am receiving data in Touchdesigner, but it is only registering when I turn the knob once, not repeatedly in the same direction. Is there a way I can receive the absolute position of the encoder?

Thank you for helping me learn this process. I appreciate your effort.

• Stevan
    Options

If you upload your current mapping then I will check it out and see what you did so far with the output commands.

• 2bays
    Options

Attached are the two mappings I'm using, currently.

• Stevan
    Options

Yeah for some reason it doesn't work, mapping looks correct.

@Sûlherokhh maybe you could help with qml edit here?

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,760 mod
    Options

The encoder itself only sends a +1 or -1 to Traktor. Apart from making a qml rewrite, you could first try to use the MIDI Button IN/OUT instead of the MIDI Knob.

You can't read out the encoder position as far as i know. Can you implement a counter in Touchdesigner that increments with every MIDI Button flash.

• Stevan
    Options

Button type of controls cannot be assigned to faders and knobs in default mappings though. If you can link midi buttons to each direction then it would solve the issue here.

I used to do this with K2 and S2 Mk2 - sending encoder data in ablosute mode to control Ableton parameters.

Didn't have time to experiment with it and see if there is a mapping work around for this.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,760 mod
    Options

I forgot. Encoder to button/switch assignments were disabled in latest hardware. I wonder why.

• 2bays
    Options

Thanks for jumping on this discussion @Sûlherokhh and evaluating the situation. To answer your question, yes we could implement a counter for an I/O. Unfortunately, I can only achieve singluar I or 0 whenever the knob switches direction, which sinks my plan to scroll through a song in Touch and Traktor.

For what it's worth, I'm developing a dmx lighting software to run parallel with Traktor. Ableton Link at the heartbeat, using python and glsl to control leds and moving head fixtures.

I'll take a dive through some of the qml examples you both have been discussing. If I could achieve 1 pulse when the knob rolls left, and 2 pulse if it rolls right, I would be thrilled.