Troubleshooting live playback audio glitch/lag issue with my Traktor Kontrol S4 MK1?

Options
willhalcyon
willhalcyon Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited October 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hi everyone. I own a Traktor Kontrol S4 MK1, which I'm using with a laptop loaded recently with a fresh fully updated copy of Windows 10, the latest version of Traktor Pro 3, and no other software installed except the S4 and S2 drivers.

Unfortunately, while using my S4 MK1 for live performances as of late, every few minutes I get an audio glitch or audio lag that stops the live playback entirely for perhaps half a second and makes a glitching sound, over and over throughout my DJ sets. This audio glitch issue is excruciating and I've been unable to fix the issue thus far.

I know it's related to my S4 MK1 in particular and not my laptop. Last weekend while DJing at a party with my S4 and freshly reloaded laptop for the first 30 minutes, I experienced the audio glitch several times. I then paused my set and swapped in my S4 with a friend's S2 MK1 for the rest of the 90 minutes of my set (continuing to use my freshly reloaded laptop); the S2 MK1 did not have any audio glitch issues whatsoever. The audio glitch is also only present in the live playback, not the recorded mixes (which sound great), in case that matters.

My question is, how can I troubleshoot this issue from here? What settings can and should I tweak in Traktor Pro 3 to properly troubleshoot this issue with my S4 MK1?

Or, is this issue symbolic of a hardware failure and/or unfixable, and I'll need to buy a new DJ controller to get around this problem?

Any help would be super appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• willhalcyon
    willhalcyon Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Not my video, but this shows the same exact audio glitch issue that's happening with my S4 MK1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hta8p6Uf_E

• TomAdams
    TomAdams Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I get exactly the same thing with my S4 mk1. Never had issue with it historically but all of a sudden in the last couple of months - regular glitches. As you say they don't feature on recordings, just the live sound output. I tried increasing latency and USB buffer in Audio Setup but no improvement. Tried using all different USB ports on the laptop and no improvement (this has yielded results for certain other sound devices for me in the past).

I have also implemented every measure listed in the Traktor audio control panel troubleshooting guide.

My laptop is old (Dell latitude 6430) but has plenty of resources to spare. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Windows update that has stopped things working somehow (touch pad gestures also seem impossible to bring back), but have no actual basis for this.

Sorry not to be of more assistance....

• TomAdams
    TomAdams Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

If I click on the diagnostics tab in traktor audio configuration window (accessed from the "audio setup" tab in main settings), it tells me the issue is a USB dropout rather than audio processing. There is an old reddit post suggesting issues could be linked with use of USB 3 ports, saying that s4 mk1 needs USB 2 (it won't let me post a link here).

• Sense
    Sense Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

So U can use turntables on the mk 1? Damm I'd love more information please

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,407 Expert
    Options
  • Sense
    Sense Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

Yes unfortunately I sold most of my jungle tunes and only have a, and just purchased a new decks so I want DVS unfortunately I prefer to mix this way.

Looks like I'll have to go for what I used to have the old z2 controller.

And use my old Denon 5500s to mix on. I was hoping bot to spend a huge amount and go for a 2nd hand that does DVS built in.

Any suggestions would be great 👌😉👊

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,407 Expert
    Options

I don't get it.

The s4 should work. Like I said it had phono in. Do you have any specific problem?