Multiple Kontakt (7) instruments and the MK3

Options
laserbeak
laserbeak Member Posts: 142 Helper
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi

How do I load multiple Kontakt instruments SE Percussion and Action Strings, for example, and play one without playing the other?

As a VST, I have Kontakt loaded in LIVE and both instruments loaded in that one instance of the VST. I use the buttons on the top to switch between the two instruments, which is cool, but was under the impression that there was an option to control the selected instrument exclusively?

The MK3 actually makes it easy to just navigate to the next channel with another instance of Kontakt, I just want to make sure I'm understanding what this setup can and can't do.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@laserbeak There is no proper way to deal with multis in Kontakt from the keyboard at the moment, you can only stack them. You would need to load every instrument in your multi / rack and then assign the MIDI channels of the instrument to 1 to 16 instead of Omni. You would then need to create separate MIDI tracks in Ableton to play the corresponding Kontakt instrument/MIDI channel.

It might be simpler to load several Kontakt instances in Ableton and load a different instrument in each.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,111 mod
    Options

Hello,

in that case i would use two instances on two different instrument channels. But you can of course use one instance and two or more midi tracks, and if you select the corresponding midi track, you play the one instrument you want from the two (or more) loaded into that one instance. Both methods have of course ups and downs.

• laserbeak
    Options

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, how do you select the MIDI track you want to play from the MK3?

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,111 mod
    Options

That depends on the DAW, but normally with the 4d encoder up/down or left right. Unfortunately I don't own a MK3 jet so I can't say for sure but I guess you press the DAW button and use the 4d encoder aisb.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@laserbeak There is no proper way to deal with multis in Kontakt from the keyboard at the moment, you can only stack them. You would need to load every instrument in your multi / rack and then assign the MIDI channels of the instrument to 1 to 16 instead of Omni. You would then need to create separate MIDI tracks in Ableton to play the corresponding Kontakt instrument/MIDI channel.

It might be simpler to load several Kontakt instances in Ableton and load a different instrument in each.

• laserbeak
    Options

OK, was just curious.

Thanks for the info.