Which Expression Pedals are known to work with the new Kontrol MK3 Keyboards?

Options
Dörk
Dörk Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Are there any known specific Expression Pedals which definitely work with the new Kontrol MK3 Keyboards?

I could neither get an older YAMAHA expression pedal, which works with my Komplete Kontrol S61 MK1, to work with the new Kontrol S88 MK 3, nor a KORG EXP-2 expression pedal.

Simple On-/Off-Pedals like the KORG PS-1 work on all 4 Pedal-Connectors with switch mode, but none of those two continuous pedals work in continuous mode.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Dörk
    Answer ✓
    Options

I found out, that I missed the calibration option available with Button 8 in Controller mode (due to a not yet perfectly fitting sliding keyboard shelf the Buttons and upper Display are almost hidden by the upper desk).

I can now confirm that both expression pedals, YAMAHA FC-7 AND KORG EXP-2 work well with the Kontrol S88 MK3, if properly claibrated.

Answers

• Dörk
    Options

I did a little research and now know that the YAMAHA expression pedal is a FC-7.

• Dörk
    Answer ✓
    Options

I found out, that I missed the calibration option available with Button 8 in Controller mode (due to a not yet perfectly fitting sliding keyboard shelf the Buttons and upper Display are almost hidden by the upper desk).

I can now confirm that both expression pedals, YAMAHA FC-7 AND KORG EXP-2 work well with the Kontrol S88 MK3, if properly claibrated.

• funkybooth
    funkybooth Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I have s61 MK3, expression pedal inputs work with a sustain pedal but my previously working Moog pedal now doesn't (it worked with both S61 MK1 and 2). I found an old Roland pedal (EV-5),

but that didn't work either. There's a compatible list on the NI site (I'm not yet allowed to post links apparently sop I've attached a screenshot).

But I'm not sure if this is MK2 or applies to MK3.

Before I go and buy one of the ones on here, can anyone confirm a pedal that does work?

Other than that, great keyboard.

Thanks

• Dörk
    Options

@funkybooth: Did you try the calibration of the expression pedal by ensuring that continuous mode is selected and then press the upper right button with 'calibrate' under it? This starts the calibration of the pedal and at least in my case solved the problem.

• tombuur
    tombuur Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I too started a thread about expression pedals Yesterday. Tried 3 different ones plus the recommended Roland dp-10 in continuous mode. None worked. Yes, I calibrated them all.

Do I really have to buy yet another pedal? I believe an expression pedal is just a potentiometer. They may of course have different Ohm ranges, but shouldn’t the calibration fix that? So why is only a few pedals compatible?

I have only found information on expression pedals for the mk2 S-Series. So maybe NI should update this.

• funkybooth
    Options

Hello @Dörk

Thanks for taking the time to drop me a reply. Yes, I tried the calibration but it still does not work.

Best

Pete

• funkybooth
    Options

I've just bought a Boss FS-1-WL and a new Roland EV-5. Both working fine, but when I plug the EV-5 into the keyboard, it doesn't work, despite trying all configuration options from the keyboard.

I've now tried a Moog pedal (which was working with the MK2 keyboard) and a Nectar NX-P - so it's got to be the keyboard!

I'm hoping this is a firmware issue, not a hardware issue, anyone else having the same issue or could anyone at NI comment please?

Best

Pete

• Veiss
    Veiss Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Anyone have any luck with a Boss EV-30? Thinking maybe because it's a dual expression pedal is why it's not working..

• noumansaeed
    noumansaeed Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

So, what was your experience with it?

• Veiss
    Veiss Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Tried calibration with both outputs with different Min settings and no dice.. Ended up just ordering the Boss wireless MIDI pedal EV-1-WL to just bypass the whole expression over TRS shenanigans and pick up the nice wireless feature that supports any device with Bluetooth MIDI..

• Dave G
    Dave G Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Glad it's not just me. I'm unable to get any expression pedal to work. Tried a Hammond EXP50 which worked fine on my 61 MK II. Nada. Same with an older Korg EKP2. I tried the recalibration. Even tried changing the Touch Strip to CC7 just in case there might have been a conflict having the Expression plug on the back set to CC 11. Will bookmark this and see if there's any other conments/fixes. I sure do like the improvements over the MKII though :)

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

We have observed a user confusion with the pedal calibration user interface.

Some users read the instructions in the opposite way they were intended.

The instructions are:

"Move the pedal all the way up, then press OK"

"Move the pedal all the way down, then press OK"

Up is intended as heel down (expression pedal at max value)

Down is intended as toe down (expression pedal at min value)

However, some users interpret down as heel down (expression pedal at max value)

All of the pedals mentioned in this thread work with MK3. So I would advise trying calibration again, and doing the "opposite" of what the text said, just in case this is the confusion (this has resolved 99% of the pedal issues reported to customer support).

Also, if that does not work, you may further try swapping between Tip and Ring, as this can vary depending on the pedal.

• Dave G
    Dave G Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

and, as if by magic, it all works now.. Even my Hammond pedal. Thanks, Matthew. Indeed... interpreted up/down incorrectly!! Tho..your instructions... to us hammond peeps.. Heel Down would be the expression pedal at MIN value. physically.. 'heel down= toe UP in the air'. 'Toe Down = pedal at MAX'. Heel and Toe flat. semantics, I know.. but.. this sure would solve the confusion.. Glad to know it's an easy fix though.. THANKS!!!

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

To be clear - I don't think it's the user's fault that this is confusing. I think we need to make it clearer.

• np0
    np0 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Has anyone gotten the DP-10 to work with the mk3? Have tried every single combination of invert, tip vs ring, and calibration, with no success as a continuous pedal yet.