Kontrol Mk3 Maschine2 and Kontakt? Oh my!

Options
Jezric
Jezric Member Posts: 49 Helper
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hey folks, I know that the support for Maschine on the new Kontrol S Mk3 controllers is not there (so sad), not even basic control as if it were a DAW. However, I was under the impression that at least you could load in Kontakt and still get the hardware interface goodness.

What I am noticing is that when you load Kontakt into Maschine, the Kontrol mk3 does show the Kontakt instrument controls with browser and light guide, etc.. However, once you load a second Kontakt instance to another Instrument or Group, it switches to that new instance and there is no way to get back to the other instance.

You would think that switching the Group/Instrument in Maschine (i.e. giving focus to that Kontakt instance) it would then attach the Kontrol mk3 to that plugin... It does not. No way to use this with more than one instance of Kontakt it seems.

Is there a solution?

Oh, and... NI, come on... When are we getting at least basic integration with Maschine? I'm not asking for KKMk2 control, as I have a Maschine mk3 sitting right next to my controller. However, without at least the ability to control plugins as you can in Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt, it basically makes the new Kontrol mk3 pointless. I mean, you could at least let us load up KK as a plugin on Maschine and hook everything up that way... seems stupidly obvious as at least a bare minimum...

Answers

• Jezric
    Options

Wow, this seems to be true in other DAWs as well. I am using Cakewalk and am not setting up the Kontrol mk3 as a DAW controller, because I have other hardware for transport control.

Same as in Maschine, the Kontrol mk3 will not switch between instances of Komplete Kontrol and/or Kontakt. It is just stuck on whatever the last plugin to load was.

Seems like a major bug here...

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Options

Sadly what’s obvious to users (and in this case seems should obvious to anyone) doesn’t seem so obvious to NI

• Jezric
    Options

Agreed, however it not picking up which plugin (KK or Kontakt) instance is currently in focus is a bug (regardless of any other integrations). So... What's up NI? When will we see a fix for this? Guess I will submit a support ticket.

• Jezric
    Options

Ok, looks like there is one way to force it to focus on a particular instance of KK or Kontakt.

In the plugin window on your computer, for KK you need to click the little ... next to the Library button and choose Controller - Komplete S61 (or whichever one you have) and in Kontakt, the little disk icon and then at the bottom choose the Controller.

Ugh...

Seems we're now all buying beta hardware/software at full price... Thanks!

• Jezric
    Options

In case anyone is following along here (maybe I'm the only one? :D ) ...

Discovered a little button in the header of the Komplete Kontrol plugin window that says [61] (S61, or S49, S88) that puts the controller in control of that KK plugin instance. Saves 1 click. No such button on the Kontakt plugin header.

Can we just get whatever instance is in focus is also automatically in control?

• gcorcella
    gcorcella Member Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I have an issue with Kontrol S88 MK3 focusing on the library in use too. Every time I change channel in Cubase I have to manually select the controller inside K7 or KK.

What is even weirder is that it seems to work correctly on my MacBook Pro and on my Windows laptop but not on my Windows Desktop. And I'm really running out of ideas on how to fix it.

• Jezric
    Options

Yep, seems it only works well and consistently in Ableton Live. :(

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 356 Advisor
    Options

Does KK works as a vst plugin in Maschine now ? And/or vice and versa ?

• Jezric
    Options

No. There is no maschine support, no DAW controls, no browser like KK and can't run KK as a plugin. The Maschine native browser is sort of like an instance of KK in itself, probably why you can't just run it as a plugin. You can run Kontakt, but that only gets you browsing support for Kontakt instruments.

It's a shame, and it has me reconsidering if I want to continue using maschine, and I own 2 mk3s and a plus. 😞

They really need to get it sorted, they're going to lose users

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 356 Advisor
    Options

Well, I was a bit like you but you consider what it actually already is, we are pretty much covered for anything needed productionwise .

I agree that it doesn't look good and knowing the way NI works, it is maybe the first time I don't either agree nor understand the plan/goal/direction-

Though I did choose the products I have and I long as they work as they always did I have no concern whatsoever and won't let my inspiration destroyed by that strange atmosphere

• Jezric
    Options

Agreed. I do love the s61 mk3 for what it is, just really want to see integration with Maschine. I am using it with Ableton Live now and it works great, but it is certainly having me second guess my usage of Maschine in general because there is so much overlap with Ableton Live, and with the new Ableton Push 3... ugh! hahah But I guess that's a whole other story...